Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hitting you mash pH  (Read 6604 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
Re: Hitting you mash pH
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2015, 07:55:53 am »
I'm curious coming from a guy who uses unsoftened well water thru a carbon block filter and brew mostly hop forward beers. Will I benefit from diving into water chemistry? I'm curious but it seems like a lot of work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmykx250

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2015, 07:59:00 am »
I'm curious coming from a guy who uses unsoftened well water thru a carbon block filter and brew mostly hop forward beers. Will I benefit from diving into water chemistry? I'm curious but it seems like a lot of work!

Jimmykx250

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2015, 08:47:56 am »

I think you would. You could get a water test done and use bru'n water to figure out what sort of water dilutions and salt additions you would need. It's not hard once you do it a couple of times.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2015, 10:12:21 am »
I think i may go this route and get my water tested. I will send out the water to get tested but is ward labs the way to go? I have some townships by me who will test for anything I want. Is there any difference? Thank guys.
Jimmykx250

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2015, 10:14:55 am »

I think you would. You could get a water test done and use bru'n water to figure out what sort of water dilutions and salt additions you would need. It's not hard once you do it a couple of times.

+1.  Even assuming you're hitting good pH now, there is still the improvement that can come from using the right flavor profile for the right beer. It can seem daunting at first but it really isn't. It's really worth it IMO.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2015, 10:33:19 am »
I think i may go this route and get my water tested. I will send out the water to get tested but is ward labs the way to go? I have some townships by me who will test for anything I want. Is there any difference? Thank guys.

If you can get it tested for the same stuff Ward tests for at the same price, go for it.  My experience is that probably isn't likely.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell