Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 10 Beer Names You Might Be Saying Wrong  (Read 19749 times)

Offline daniel_cerveza

• Cellarman
Re: 10 Beer Names You Might Be Saying Wrong
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 03:27:00 pm »
I was thinking Leinenkugel might have been one, but it's a pretty common beer.  Nickname is Leiny like lie-nee.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 03:35:17 pm »
And how about the famous Belgian beer "Het Kerstmutske"?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline daniel_cerveza

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 04:29:14 pm »

No clue.  How do you pronounce that?

My guess: Het Care-st Moot-Skeh.  Close?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:32:40 pm by daniel_cerveza »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 08:49:27 am »
I make a beer called "Rebellion" and people call at brewfests very often ask for some of that "Rebel Lion". No jest.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 08:53:24 am »
I make a beer called "Rebellion" and people call at brewfests very often ask for some of that "Rebel Lion". No jest.

Hilarious ! Maybe you should just go with it and use a lion as the logo.   ;D
Jon H.

Offline DieTheVillain

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 01:47:30 pm »

Not a beer but a style, but I never know how to pronounce Saison.  I've heard it at least 3-4 different ways.

I believe is it "Say Zahn"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 02:29:27 pm »

Not a beer but a style, but I never know how to pronounce Saison.  I've heard it at least 3-4 different ways.

I believe is it "Say Zahn"

I had read about them, went to a bottle shop, "Do you guys have a say-is-on?" He didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I thought, what kind of a craft beer joint is this? Then he said "You mean say-zon?" I said, "um, probably. "

That was about 3 years ago and now I can make a better say-zon than he sold me LOL

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 02:49:45 pm »

No clue.  How do you pronounce that?

My guess: Het Care-st Moot-Skeh.  Close?

Close but no cigar.
Frank P.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 02:51:47 pm »
What about Leffe?

I always thought it was pronounced Leff-ah.  I tried to order it in the Netherlands, and girls tending bar laughed at me (good-naturedly).  They said it was just Leff.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 03:31:48 am »
The abbey of Leffe is located in the French-speaking part of Belgium. French pronunciation is /lef/. Dutch pronunciation  (with AB-Inbev headquarters located in Flanders) in Belgium is /lef-ah/.  But apparently in the Netherlands they (not sure whether it's everybody, maybe just beer snobs) pronounce the name the French way, /lef/.

Completely logical, no?  ;)

This having been said, I never drink it, and I never pronounce its name except when I talk to foreigners in Belgium who, for some reason I don't understand, think that Leffe is the creme de la creme of Belgian beers. It isn't.
Frank P.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 08:52:30 am »
The abbey of Leffe is located in the French-speaking part of Belgium. French pronunciation is /lef/. Dutch pronunciation  (with AB-Inbev headquarters located in Flanders) in Belgium is /lef-ah/.  But apparently in the Netherlands they (not sure whether it's everybody, maybe just beer snobs) pronounce the name the French way, /lef/.

This having been said, I never drink it, and I never pronounce its name except when I talk to foreigners in Belgium who, for some reason I don't understand, think that Leffe is the creme de la creme of Belgian beers. It isn't.
In the 2008 BJCP Guidelines it is listed as the #1 world class example. On my tasting exam I gave it a 39 and was more than 6 points higher than the proctors, a Master and a Grand Master. That means either they were way wrong, or the beer is not the best of its class. I'm sticking with the judges were wrong because ignorance is bliss, and I need some bliss in my life.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 10:32:08 am »

Awesome, thank you for the explanation.

Having been fortunate enough to pass through Antwerp and Brussels, I agree that there are many Belgian beers better than Leffe.  That said, I do like it.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

RPIScotty

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 08:56:07 pm »

Leffe makes some of my least favorite beers. I gave them a fair shake and was disappointed every time.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2015, 07:14:57 am »

We have a Navy F-18 squadron called the "Valions" here in Virginia Beach, VA. We jokingly refer to them as Virginia Lions.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 02:36:51 pm »
Surprised Duvel didn't make the list
Yeah, I've heard Doove-ull and Doove-ell. I say the latter. It's probably the former...
Jesse