Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Florida  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
Re: Florida
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2015, 10:01:45 am »
St. Somewhere is out of the Tampa area and brews a variety of Belgian-inspired beers, mostly in the saison vein. They are mixed fermentations but not sour. Probably harder to find than Jai Alai but should not be impossible. I found it in Kansas City so it should not be that hard to find on home turf.
All of the beers taste better when you're sitting under a palm tree with the ocean breezes blowing in your face!
“I’ve never been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved.”
~ George Gobel

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2015, 10:44:56 am »
The wife is heading to Florida to see her kiddo in February. I'm looking for a few suggestions for must try beers, sours would be great. She'll be in the Naples area.

Jim, where is she flying into?

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2015, 12:18:03 pm »
St. Somewhere is out of the Tampa area and brews a variety of Belgian-inspired beers, mostly in the saison vein. They are mixed fermentations but not sour. Probably harder to find than Jai Alai but should not be impossible. I found it in Kansas City so it should not be that hard to find on home turf.

Can't believe I forgot about them.  My bottle overfloweth.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2015, 12:48:57 pm »
The wife is heading to Florida to see her kiddo in February. I'm looking for a few suggestions for must try beers, sours would be great. She'll be in the Naples area.

Jim, where is she flying into?
Ft Meyers

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2015, 01:02:40 pm »
Jim,
I grew up in that area and can tell you it's somewhat of a craft beer deadzone. They're are a few newer breweries, but nothing exciting IMO. Tampa is 2 hours north (tons of great spots between that and St. Pete) and Ft. Laud/Miami is 1.5 hours from Naples across Alligator Alley.

J. Wakefield in Miami is one of the best right now IMO, lots of great sours, "florida weisse" beers to be had.

There is a Total Wine in Ft. Myers which is close to Naples.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2015, 02:17:14 pm »
All of the beers taste better when you're sitting under a palm tree with the ocean breezes blowing in your face!
Saint Somewhere is the most widely available beer of all the Florida breweries.  I've seen it on the shelf in Brooklyn and on tap in Manhatten and Philly so you may be able to find it closer to home.  Bob is proud of his Brett character - he sprays down the walls of his brewery with it.

Every Florida brewery seems to have a fruity Berliner Weisse.  I'm personally over it.  It's funny how beer styles can become regional specialties.  Last weekend I was in Raleigh and everyone seemed to be pushing black IPA's.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2015, 02:26:37 pm »
Jim,
I grew up in that area and can tell you it's somewhat of a craft beer deadzone. They're are a few newer breweries, but nothing exciting IMO. Tampa is 2 hours north (tons of great spots between that and St. Pete) and Ft. Laud/Miami is 1.5 hours from Naples across Alligator Alley.

J. Wakefield in Miami is one of the best right now IMO, lots of great sours, "florida weisse" beers to be had.

Ya thats what her son is always saying. Beer desert I guess. Its all good, if she smuggles me something, great. If not, oh well. I can always hit the Logsdon barrel room.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2015, 03:01:44 pm »

Jim,

Ya thats what her son is always saying. Beer desert I guess. Its all good, if she smuggles me something, great. If not, oh well. I can always hit the Logsdon barrel room.
Jim, whatcha want? I can always send you some Florida beers.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2015, 03:14:12 pm »
Oh I really appreciate that. Let's see what she finds me. If she strikes out I might take you up on something like that via PM.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 03:16:28 pm »
Oh I really appreciate that. Let's see what she finds me. If she strikes out I might take you up on something like that via PM.
Hey, me too!  There are Oregon beers I would trade for.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995