Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hoppy Irish Red - Ooops.  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Joshua82

• 1st Kit
Hoppy Irish Red - Ooops.
« on: December 17, 2015, 03:27:07 pm »
I was attempting to make a traditional Irish Red Ale and used too much hops.
My recipe called for 0.50 oz. of Nugget and I guess I got all beside myself and dumped the entire ounce in there.
This along with a small Galena addition (leftovers from a previous brew) pushes my IBUs up around 51. I didn't realize that I had put the whole 1 oz. in there until afterwards I was going over my next recipe which I was going to use the other 0.50 oz in.
She's still conditioning, so I haven't had a good taste yet to compare.
Irish Red Ale usually stays under 28 IBUs.

If it turns out to be a good beer, I would still like to maybe enter this into a homebrew competition.
What style could I enter this under?

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
This is my first post, btw.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Hoppy Irish Red - Ooops.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:48:10 pm »
See what it tastes like first, that will open your eyes to what it is.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 06:02:58 am »
I think that'd make it an American Amber, although the IBUs are over the top there too.  In any case, I bet it'll be really tasty.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 06:18:36 am »
I think that'd make it an American Amber, although the IBUs are over the top there too.  In any case, I bet it'll be really tasty.

I agree that American amber would be the closest. Joshua82 - keep in mind that IBUs are just a number. How you perceive IBUs are influenced by a number of factors like the intensity of hops used and the malt character of the beer. 51 IBU in a clean blonde ale would be pretty assertive, but the same number in a malty Irish Red would seem less so in comparison.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 08:47:21 am »
I agree American Amber is your best choice, comp wise. Have you bottled this yet? If not, I'd recommend a couple ounces of dry hops. If it's going to be a hoppy beer, might as well roll with it...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 08:52:11 am »
I agree American Amber is your best choice, comp wise. Have you bottled this yet? If not, I'd recommend a couple ounces of dry hops. If it's going to be a hoppy beer, might as well roll with it...
I was also going to suggest this. Maybe fully assimilate it into America with some cascade or such.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 05:56:03 pm »
I always use 4 ounces of Fuggles in my Irish Reds. FWH 1oz, then add 2 oz at 10 and 1 oz at 5 minutes left in the boil. I am sure that takes me "out of style" but I don't brew for competitions. I brew to my taste.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 12:00:50 am »
I always use 4 ounces of Fuggles in my Irish Reds. FWH 1oz, then add 2 oz at 10 and 1 oz at 5 minutes left in the boil. I am sure that takes me "out of style" but I don't brew for competitions. I brew to my taste.
What? Is that allowed?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 09:26:19 pm »
So many hoppy reds out there - I wouldn't sweat it, unless you have intentions to enter it....even then, I wouldn't sweat it.  I'd just enjoy it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 06:04:32 am »
So many hoppy reds out there

I wish I agreed!  Probably on the West Coast, not here in New England.  But, being that this is probably my favorite style, I don't think I'd ever be satisfied unless they were as plentiful as IPAs are these days.