Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shiner Holiday Cheer  (Read 3112 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Shiner Holiday Cheer
« on: December 17, 2015, 07:30:39 pm »
This may be the last 6 pack I buy solely out of novelty. I've had and enjoyed Shiner Bock. We are in Naples for the week and went to Publix today for groceries, sundries, and beer. Pretty poor selection (read: nothing that jumped out at me as something new) but I had never seen this one so it was an automatic pick. Did not read the label, just cracked one open and it's not the (a)typical winter warmer, spiced holiday ale I was expecting. It's loaded with peach and pecan flavors. Anyone want 5 Shiner Holiday Cheers?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
Re: Shiner Holiday Cheer
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 08:25:00 am »
This may be the last 6 pack I buy solely out of novelty. I've had and enjoyed Shiner Bock. We are in Naples for the week and went to Publix today for groceries, sundries, and beer. Pretty poor selection (read: nothing that jumped out at me as something new) but I had never seen this one so it was an automatic pick. Did not read the label, just cracked one open and it's not the (a)typical winter warmer, spiced holiday ale I was expecting. It's loaded with peach and pecan flavors. Anyone want 5 Shiner Holiday Cheers?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:47:40 am »
You lost me at the word Shiner.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:54:07 am »

Yeah. I still remember the first time I bought a 6 of their 'Bock' , actually expecting a bock.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 10:04:00 am »

Yeah. I still remember the first time I bought a 6 of their 'Bock' , actually expecting a bock.
My girlfriend's Dad bought me my first and only sixer of Shiner Bock last Christmas. I definitely didn't understand how it was a bock. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it but I did drink it all later that week so I guess I didn't hate it. I still have the pint glass it came with that I use as a water glass.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 10:11:19 am »

My girlfriend's Dad bought me my first and only sixer of Shiner Bock last Christmas. I definitely didn't understand how it was a bock. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it but I did drink it all later that week so I guess I didn't hate it. I still have the pint glass it came with that I use as a water glass.

Yeah, if I'm dumb enough to buy Michelob Amber Bock actually expecting a legit bock, that's kinda on me. But with no BMC on the label I actually expected the Shiner to be a solid beer. Why brew a style when you can just slap the tag on it ?
Jon H.

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
Shiner Holiday Cheer
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 10:26:25 am »
Oh you guys are breaking my poor Texas heart. I can totally understand how it would be perceived as an actual bock beer, but really it's just a dark American lager. For some reason the perception is that if bock is in the name then that just means dark. Not sure if anyone has heard of Zeigenbock. It's a beer made by Bud that apparently is only made at their Houston plant for Texas distribution. It's considered 'manly' for BMC drinkers to drink a bock beer because it's dark.
Now, with that said, Shiner Bock is actually the beer that got me into beer, and their family mixpack is what got me to realize their is more to beer than the adjunct style. I'll always have a special place in my heart for good ol shiner, and used to be the only decent beer I could get at a Rangers game.(Now that we have about 20+ breweries in the dfw area the selection is much improved).

Edit: I say the perception in Texas is that bock beer is just a dark lager, but maybe that's just been my experience. The first dark colored beer I brewed was a Belgian double and when I let a friend try it, who was a strictly 'Kerrs Draw' kinda guy, he said it was the best bock he had ever tried.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:29:30 am by Hickory »

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 10:48:52 am »
I'll drink a Lonestar before I'll drink a Shiner Bock. There, I said it.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 10:51:35 am »

I'm working on collecting 60 lone star caps to fill a Texas shaped cap display. It's difficult. I don't know if I'll be able to make it before I move.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 11:28:26 am »

I'm working on collecting 60 lone star caps to fill a Texas shaped cap display. It's difficult. I don't know if I'll be able to make it before I move.

Lonestar is not good beer. That shows you my opinion of Shiner Bock.

Offline Stevie

Shiner Holiday Cheer
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 11:47:38 am »
No, it's not good. I tend to drink them at dive bars during happy hour for $1.50 each. I just want a map full of the puzzles.

When it comes to shiner, it's often the best beer available at some places around here.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 12:25:43 pm »
No, it's not good. I tend to drink them at dive bars during happy hour for $1.50 each. I just want a map full of the puzzles.

When it comes to shiner, it's often the best beer available at some places around here.

Whenever Shiner and Real Ale (Fireman's 4 in particular) are the two craft brews available at an event in Austin - it tells me they don't really know Austin all that well or they are pinned down by contract/distributor obligations. I tend to think that the latter is more often the case.

Lonestar is sort of the PBR of Texas. It's cheap, massively produced, but a cut above (barely) BMC taste-wise.

Pearl on the other hand... whoosh.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 03:30:05 pm »
Pearl is still around? Last time I was in Texas (Nov., 2014) I never saw it.  I thought they had folded up their tent years ago. Personally, I'd take Shiner over Lone Star any day - if those were my only choices.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 03:42:18 pm »
Sadly, I bought 12 of these stupid things. Have 11 left. (12 pack was $1.50 more than a sixer.)

I remembered it being much, much more subtle than what I have now, which who knows if that's true or not. Last time I had it was 2011. Now, well, I'll probably drag them to Christmas so I can get rid of them.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 03:52:47 pm »

Pearl is still around? Last time I was in Texas (Nov., 2014) I never saw it.  I thought they had folded up their tent years ago. Personally, I'd take Shiner over Lone Star any day - if those were my only choices.
I don't find it in the Dallas area, but it's available at many dives in and around Austin.