Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian blonde recipe help  (Read 4841 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Belgian blonde recipe help
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 06:55:38 pm »
I agree. Mine is at or just under 7% abv and I use ~ 1/2 lb cane sugar in it . I love 3787, 3522 and have even used 1214 on a couple good ones.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

Belgian blonde recipe help
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 07:41:51 pm »
I don't know what you guys are talking about with that being a big grain bill. Belgian blond is to be between 6 and 7.5% abv. 

I only meant to say that at a conservative 78% efficiency, 12 lbs of Pilsner malt and 3/4 lb of table sugar would yield a very high PBG.   After boiling for an hour you'd likely be >1.090 OG. That struck me as uncharacteristic of the style.

You'd be looking at a large ABV beer even with modest attenuation. Given the nature of good liquid Belgian strains when sugar is involved, >80% attenuation is not unlikely. If that were the case, you'd very likely be approaching ~9-10% ABV.

To each their own. It would be a tasty beer regardless. I am of course assuming a 5 gallon batch.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:45:36 pm by RPIScotty »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 09:52:48 pm »
The first part of this thread is why recipe chats should be in percentages.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 01:50:55 am »
Agreed, that makes things so much easier. Personally, that's how I think of recipes anyways. I have no clue what the actual quantities look like until I plug them into some software. With OG and percentages you can scale any grain bill and with hop additions I use IBU's per addition for boil additions and oz/gallon for flameout/whirlpool/dry hops. From that point anyone can do the math for their particular system.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 03:55:06 am »
Agreed, that makes things so much easier. Personally, that's how I think of recipes anyways. I have no clue what the actual quantities look like until I plug them into some software. With OG and percentages you can scale any grain bill and with hop additions I use IBU's per addition for boil additions and oz/gallon for flameout/whirlpool/dry hops. From that point anyone can do the math for their particular system.
Exactly.

RPIScotty

Belgian blonde recipe help
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 03:56:20 am »

I agree wholeheartedly but it was not until I had to decipher recipes from BLAM that I started thinking in percentages. I still tend to write out recipes in lbs and ozs for 5 gal recipe sizes as well, even though I brew 1 gal. Habit I guess.

Percentage based recipe discussion makes things easier. Very much agreed.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 07:04:53 am »
Agree totally on the % comments.  We all brew on different systems with different efficiencies. Recipes in % speak a common language.
Jon H.