Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Krausen after 2 weeks  (Read 4518 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Krausen after 2 weeks
« on: December 21, 2015, 04:14:56 pm »
Anyone eperience US-05 kinda slow to drop the last bits of krausen? I sometimes see this with US-05 but never had it stick around this long. I don't mean full layer like while fermenting, high krausen came and went. 2 weeks now, the beer is almost clear but there's still a few floaters up on top.  It could also be the Cocoa I added at the end of the boil. It was a Chocolate Porter and I'm also dry-beaning some coffee so all that might have something to add to it. It's cold crashing now, gonna see how it does before I keg it up.

I didn't check gravity, I rarely do until I keg it. Based on taste, it seemed fine and was fermented out and cleaned up a couple days ago when I added the coffee. Not too worried about it, just wondering if others have had this with US-05.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Krausen after 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 04:21:17 pm »
Probably its foam rather than actual krausen. It happens. Depends on how much foam positive stuff is in the wort. I think...

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 05:39:36 pm »
I have experienced the same with WLP001, 1056 and US05. It is random, sometimes the krausen will last for 2 weeks. Doesn't seem to affect the beer quality in any way I can taste/smell.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 07:51:23 pm »
I've had a fluffy layer that did not drop with wlp644...drained under the fluffy...to fill the keg with 5 gallons of awesome brew...has happened twice with this strain...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 03:41:18 am »
Yeah I guess this is more of a "foam" on top. Some of it is even crusted. Still even after cold crashing, it's sticking around on top. I'm kegging this batch later today, just going to rack from under the top.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:03:07 am »
Yeah I've had this.  Most times warming the beer up for a few days will speed it along.  If the gravity is stable you can cold crash it to drop most all of it.  The last beer I just kegged with us 05 still had a few small floaters after cold crashing.  No worries.  Or just rack from underneath it.
If only I can get my beers to produce the same 2 week foam stand...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 04:36:58 am »
It often happens with low floccing top cropping strains. You can swirl the beer a round a little to break up and usually it drops.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 08:07:28 am »
I've noticed this occurring with US-05 and beers that contain a relatively high proportion of crystal and or roasted malts.  I just swirl to break it up, let it settle for a day or two and rack.  Haven't noticed any off-flavors.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 12:58:24 pm »
Made an IPA with 007.  It had a thick foam that made it almost 3 weeks.  Looked at it one day and it was there, next day was gone.  I was going to skim it before I cold crashed it, but it was gone. 
Jeff B

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 09:50:53 pm »
I tried just posting the pic but I can't seem to do so. Does anyone know what is going on in this pic from this link? This is pretty much what I saw in my carboy and prompted me to post this thread and ask about this. I thought it was just some left over krausen/foam/particulate...etc from the fermentation but the beer has an off flavor and aroma. This looks exactly like what I seen on top of my beer, just not quite that bad. It's also hard to see but the areas inbetween the clusters of flakes there is a slight oily sheen/film to the top of the beer. I also seen some of that in my batch.

So looking at the pic in this link, anyone know what this is?
https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3134-beer-spoilage-advanced-brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:36:13 pm »
Looks like a bacterial pelicle to me. Hard to say which bacteria from a photo with no other clues.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 11:55:23 am »
I think I just got paronoid with this because of my last 2 batches where I did detect an off flavor and aroma. I did see some floaties on top of this last batch I thought where out of the ordinary but was nothing extreme. I don't think this batch has any problems. I think I was mainly tasting young beer, this one is going to need a little bit to come together thats all. Samples now that I have it kegged and carbonating are much better than what I had at kegging time.