Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What to use S-33 for?  (Read 3804 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What to use S-33 for?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 01:41:13 pm »
And, I would give that advice for S-23 as well.

Again!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 02:35:27 pm »
Bottle yeast?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 06:17:17 pm »

Again!
I would say a good use for a packet of S-33 would be to add it to the boil, and use another yeast to ferment.  The boiled S-33 yeast would be a good source of nutrients for the other yeast.  :D

Bummer!

I don't really care about the S-33 as I ordered it by mistake, but I've used S-23 for a Cali Common before, and I thought it came out okay. What am I missing?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 06:47:08 pm »

Again!
I would say a good use for a packet of S-33 would be to add it to the boil, and use another yeast to ferment.  The boiled S-33 yeast would be a good source of nutrients for the other yeast.  :D

Bummer!

I don't really care about the S-33 as I ordered it by mistake, but I've used S-23 for a Cali Common before, and I thought it came out okay. What am I missing?

I used S23 three times before I gave up on it.  It made the most disgustingly fruity beers I've ever tasted.  So bad that I sent some to John Palmer, who said it tasted like a passion fruit wine cooler.  A lot of other people have had the same experience.  But there are also people who have made great beers with it.  But I'm done with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 07:07:17 pm »

Again!

Bummer!

I have never used s23 myself but my buddy uses it extensively. I like his beers and have never noticed any strange flavors from that particular yeast. I have settled on 34/70 for now which does the job for me.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 11:23:33 am »
I got the same disgusting fruit flavor from S-23 as Denny did. 

There are so many great lager strains out there, why bother with using one that has a poor track record?

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 01:16:32 pm »
I got the same disgusting fruit flavor from S-23 as Denny did. 

There are so many great lager strains out there, why bother with using one that has a poor track record?

I have never thought of S-23 as a lager yeast.  Only used it twice and will not again. Too many other good strains out there to use.