Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Silicone Baking Mat  (Read 3371 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Silicone Baking Mat
« on: December 19, 2015, 09:29:12 am »
A very long time ago I purchased two Silpats and we used them to death. They had soaked up enough grease due to cooking various things I finally could not get them to a point they did not feel greasy. I probably spent $20-25 each for them.

I purchased a two pack of Amazon Baking Mats recently for less than $12 total (I have Amazon Prime) and have used them a few times since they arrived and I trashed the Silpats. They are as good as Silpat if not better. Highly recommended.
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Silicone-Baking-Mat-Pack/dp/B00V5IM0EU
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
Re: Silicone Baking Mat
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 09:56:42 am »
Yeah, i purchased a variety pack of silicone mats from Costco recently. For baking cookies silicone mats cant be beat. Easy to use, no sticking and easy baking pan cleanup!
“I’ve never been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved.”
~ George Gobel

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 01:02:26 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I have an order in the wings, but I needed something to get me to free shipping :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 01:46:38 pm »
I have found brand new silicone items give off something which sets off my fire alarm near the kitchen the first few times you use them. This has not yet happened to the Amazon mats, but I expect it every time.

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 02:23:26 pm »
I haven't had any issues with off gassing from silicone mats. I just washed thoroughly before using and put them to use.
“I’ve never been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved.”
~ George Gobel

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 05:41:11 am »
I use them for parmesan taco shells. I put a tablespoon or so of grated parmesan in little piles on the mats and bake until brown then bend around something. They get crunchy then I fill with guacamole, salsa etc for an appetizer.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 08:45:00 am »
The easy way to do something with Parmesan is to put it in a pan and then drop over something to shape. For a taco shell I would probably use a taco shell covered in parchment to get the shape. I've done that to create a bowl in which to serve spaghetti.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 10:22:42 am »
I've gone from the silicone mats back to good old parchment paper.  I got tired of cleaning the mats and the parchment works equally well.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell