Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Semi-Maybe-Kinda-Healthy Zucchini Turkey Sausage Lasagna  (Read 2019 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: Semi-Maybe-Kinda-Healthy Zucchini Turkey Sausage Lasagna
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:53:40 pm »
After a fairly ugly Dr. visit - I might have to eat LOTS of that. Definitely cutting way back on the beer, which really sucks. Breaking out the keto/paleo recipes...
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 04:00:47 pm »
I'm pretty critical of healthy alternative recipes as I prefer eating the full on version in moderation but this looks good in its own right. Salting the zucchini so it doesn't give off water layer is a great technique. I salt squash, cucumber and eggplant all the time.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 04:36:01 pm »
I'm pretty critical of healthy alternative recipes as I prefer eating the full on version in moderation but this looks good in its own right. Salting the zucchini so it doesn't give off water layer is a great technique. I salt squash, cucumber and eggplant all the time.
There are two types of "healthy alternative" recipes/foods. One just takes an existing recipe and replaces individual ingredients with others, but is still trying to produce the same end result. Those are always disappointing.

What does work is when you take an idea as inspiration, then build a recipe that stands on its own. I love a good black bean burger, but I can't stand "veggie burgers" that are trying to taste like a hamburger.

I will have to visit this in the summer. Even one zucchini plant can be too much when it's at its peak output. I end up eating a lot of zucchini "noodles" at those times.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 06:28:12 am »
There are two types of "healthy alternative" recipes/foods. One just takes an existing recipe and replaces individual ingredients with others, but is still trying to produce the same end result. Those are always disappointing.

What does work is when you take an idea as inspiration, then build a recipe that stands on its own. I love a good black bean burger, but I can't stand "veggie burgers" that are trying to taste like a hamburger.

I will have to visit this in the summer. Even one zucchini plant can be too much when it's at its peak output. I end up eating a lot of zucchini "noodles" at those times.
Well put. I manage 2 kitchens that serve all vegetarian food  to people who are not exclusively vegetarian. We don't use any processed imitation meat products at all. We use some locally produced organic tofu and tempeh but I try not to rely on soy products so those are in about one meal a week. There is some rethinking of meat dishes like tofu and mushroom stroganoff, BBQ Tempeh etc. but its only if it truly works. Mostly its stand on its own stuff that if you aren't thinking about it you wouldn't think its vegetarian: Indian, middle eastern, quiche and fritatta, Mexican, spanikopita, etc. The key is using plenty of satisfying protein and fat.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 04:43:06 pm »
Try subbing low fat cottage cheese for the ricotta.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Semi-Maybe-Kinda-Healthy Zucchini Turkey Sausage Lasagna
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 10:09:05 pm »
Looks delicious. Like @euge said, my wife subs low fat cottage cheese (beat to sh!t in a blender) for ricotta, I think I like it better.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 10:19:39 pm »
Draining the cottage cheese helps to prevent a soggy mess.