Author Topic: Yeast Nutrient and Cider  (Read 2023 times)

Offline narcout

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Yeast Nutrient and Cider
« on: December 19, 2015, 04:30:04 PM »
How much and what type of yeast nutrient do you all use when making cider?
I ♥ glitter beer

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Yeast Nutrient and Cider
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 04:58:53 PM »
I just use my regular nutrient and amount.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 05:08:22 PM »
I just use my regular nutrient and amount.
Same here - the amount I use for beer, that is.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:47:11 PM »
Another +1 to using regular nutrient, Wyeast in my case. I use the same amount.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 08:42:43 PM »
None.  Nutrient does not serve any useful function in ciders in my experience.  I haven't used it for many years.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 09:20:59 AM »
None.  Nutrient does not serve any useful function in ciders in my experience.  I haven't used it for many years.

Depends on what you're after. If you're in it for the long game, then I will certainly defer to you. I can imagine that if you're looking for a cider to naturally finish semi-sweet, then skipping the nutrient might also encourage the yeast to stop a bit sooner.

For a quick turnaround cider, then nutrient is a big help in reducing sulfur production. With nutrient and pectic enzyme I can go juice-to-glass in 2-3 weeks.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 12:55:14 PM »
Sometimes I get a bit of sulfur.  This year I didn't get any sulfur at all, out of four batches.  Not sure the rhyme or reason, but it does go to show that nutrient is not always necessary.  If I'd fermented at room temp, the ciders would be done already.  Mine at colder temps since mid-October are just about done now.  I'm beginning to think about bottling, maybe, but I want to be certain they're totally done.  Gravities are all still >1.005 for natural sweetness, yay.  I should just drink them out of the fermenters.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • View Profile
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 07:45:22 AM »

I've never used nutrient for beer or cider. That's pushing 500 batches and only 1 stuck ferment.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
Mine at colder temps since mid-October are just about done now. 

What do you consider "colder temps"?
BJCP Certified

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »
My garage here in Wisconsin has ranged from 30s to 60s with an overall average of 45-50 F.
Dave

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:47:51 AM »
Dave, I saw in another thread that you like Cote des Blancs and US-05 as cider yeast. I didn't realize these yeast varieties would like 45-50 degree temps. How long does it take for the cider to fully ferment?
BJCP Certified

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »
Takes at least 2 months or maybe 3.  I keep wondering if I should bottle mine from October -- I probably could but I am also lazy and it is likely still fermenting anyway.  A couple of my 4 batches are definitely still slightly active yet.  Guess I should check on all 4 again and see where they are at.
Dave

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 12:08:22 PM »
Takes at least 2 months or maybe 3.  I keep wondering if I should bottle mine from October -- I probably could but I am also lazy and it is likely still fermenting anyway.  A couple of my 4 batches are definitely still slightly active yet.  Guess I should check on all 4 again and see where they are at.

I also find it easy to forget my ciders. I've been trying to find a way to leave more of the fresh cider taste in my fermented cider without having to back sweeten.
BJCP Certified

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 03:19:38 PM »

I also find it easy to forget my ciders. I've been trying to find a way to leave more of the fresh cider taste in my fermented cider without having to back sweeten.
Keeping fermentation as cool as possible will help retain the volatile apple flavor/aroma compounds that a fast fermentation blows off. I've used Premier Cuvee in the past at about 45F and been very happy with the residual apple flavor. Premier Cuvee also performs well with minimal nutrient additions (not producing sulfur), and adding less nutrients helps slow down fermentation (along with temperature).
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 06:41:16 PM »
Dave firmly believes in low and slow from what I've seen.  I do too.  I avoid nutrients whenever I can.  I don't know a better way to put it than the yeast don't seem to be working hard enough to be stressed...does that make sense? 

a great many people use nutrient, including many pros.  I've done it too.  But there's so much subtlety in a dry to off-dry cider with halfway decent apples that in my experience can be blown off with an aggressive ferment (or covered up with excessive sweetness, but that's a separate topic...)

drinking such a cider now.  More Golden Russet than anything else.  1.001, definite faint impression of sweetness and plenty of fruitiness, though no overt apple.  Drink something this dry ice cold and it is bland. It's also 8.6% so I suppose I'm getting into applewine territory but whatever.  There's some Baldwin in there that is likely supplying the faint rose character.  Bright Northern Spy and crab acidity, faint bitterness. Lovely.