Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stalled Barley Wine  (Read 1550 times)

Offline phil17

• 1st Kit
Stalled Barley Wine
« on: December 14, 2010, 03:38:57 pm »
Hi All,

I've been extract brewing for 6 years now and thought I would give a barley-wineish style a go.

I went balls to the wall with 12 pounds of dme and 3 ounces of simco, had an og of 1.094 (temperature corrected), and used WLP099 Super High Gravity Yeast with starter of course.

First two week went good, massive action in the airlock.  I transferred to 5 gallon carboy two days ago, and all action in the airlock and on the surface of the beer has stopped.  The gravity at time of transfer was 1.045, so it seemed to me I would continue seeing rapid fermentation.

Any suggestions on how I should go about reviving this beer?!  Thanks!

Phil
Coffee by day, beer by night.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Stalled Barley Wine
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:51:40 pm »
Next time leave it on the yeast until it is finished, you have to leave it there and check the gravity until it stabilizes.  It's not going to keep rapidly fermenting once you take it off the yeast.

At this point, I'd say rehydrate 2-4 packets of dry yeast in water.  Add some of your fermented beer to it for 6-12 hours, then add the whole thing to the carboy.  Alternatively, you can make a starter with your yeast and pitch it when it is actively fermenting.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phil17

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:08:30 pm »
Thanks Tom, I'll see about pitching another yeast starter.

Not to change subjects, but I have heard that if you leave it on the bed in the primary that it will develop negative taste attributes, is this true?
Coffee by day, beer by night.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:15:39 pm »
Not really, you've got a lot more than 2 weeks before you need to worry about autolysis, especially if it is still fermenting.  Once it is finished try to rack it within another 2-4 weeks, but even that number is debatable.

That used to be a good rule of thumb with the crappy dried yeasts that kits came with 10+ years ago, but with the healthy Wyeast and White Labs products it is much less of a concern.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 05:27:36 pm »
You are not looking for a starter, you are looking for a full working yeast population.  See if your local brewpub/micro can get you a growler full of yeast slurry,  ant neutral yeast should work.

if you can't do that, 3 or 4 packs of dry yeast, US-05 or Nottingham re-hydrated will do.

Another option is to make a quick 5 gallon starter/beer, something like an English Mild, and then use the whole yeast cake.  Waiting the 5 or 6 days for this to ferment will not be a problem.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:31:20 pm by bonjour »
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)