Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weyermann Abbey Malt  (Read 7613 times)

Ancient Abbey

Weyermann Abbey Malt
« on: December 20, 2015, 03:33:30 pm »
I can't seem to find more than basic info on Abbey malt.  What kind of malt is it? High-kilned with some diastatic power?  Low kilned, then toasted?  Crystal malt?  A blend of different malts?

RPIScotty

Weyermann Abbey Malt
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 04:48:01 pm »
I can't seem to find more than basic info on Abbey malt.  What kind of malt is it? High-kilned with some diastatic power?  Low kilned, then toasted?  Crystal malt?  A blend of different malts?

It's equivalent to Aromatic. Dingemans quotes that it can make up 30% of grist while Weyermann quotes up to 50% for the Abbey
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:17:57 pm by RPIScotty »

Ancient Abbey

Re: Weyermann Abbey Malt
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 06:43:58 pm »
Can you share the specs on the Abbey malt?  DP? 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 07:06:31 pm »
It's a toasted, brownish pale malt, definitely not a crystal. Can be used up to 25% of the grist. I can't find anything on DP but here are some other specs from Castle. It's what I'd call a more intense version of Aromatic. I liked a small amount ( ~6-7%) in a dubbel I brewed. 

http://www.castlemalting.com/ServicesPDF/CastleMaltingMaltSpecificationPDF.asp?Command=QualityParametersPDF&SpecificationID=137&CropYear=2015&Language=English

EDIT -  An intense combo of biscuit and aromatic might be a better description IMO.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:13:32 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 07:12:27 pm »
I too am interested in this malt. I know my LHBS carries it and I plan on picking some up for a Belgian Blond I want to brew. On Northernbrewer  its listed as a honey type malt.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 07:16:03 pm »
I don't know if a blond is the right beer for it IMO. If you use it I wouldn't use much. It's great for dubbel and quad though.
Jon H.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 07:21:33 pm »
The recipe I have constructed now only has 3-4% I definitely wouldn't go anymore than 5% in a beer like a blond.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

RPIScotty

Weyermann Abbey Malt
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 07:38:49 pm »
Try the Weyermann page. They have a download with a Zip file that has their entire 2015 analysis for all of their malts.

I agree that this malt is more appropriate for Dubbels and BDSAs
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:40:44 pm by RPIScotty »

Ancient Abbey

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 06:03:26 am »
I looked at that before I came to the forum with my question.  They don't publish DP; you have to scan a sac for the actually batch analysis.  I was hoping that is where you got your information. 

RPIScotty

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 06:41:25 am »
I looked at that before I came to the forum with my question.  They don't publish DP; you have to scan a sac for the actually batch analysis.  I was hoping that is where you got your information.

I would use the "known" average value of DP for say, munich malt as a guide. The Abbey will be less than the Munich. Maybe shoot the reoresentative from Weyermann an email. I've had luck in the past communicating with them.

Ancient Abbey

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 08:08:04 am »
Right, if it's a high-kilned malt, then I can estimate off dark munich.  If it's low-kilned and toasted, then it won't have any DP.   I just need to know which it is.  I sent something to Weyermann a few days ago, but they have not responded. 

Does anyone have a batch analysis sheet for a sac of Weyermann Abbey malt?

RPIScotty

Weyermann Abbey Malt
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 08:48:33 am »
From Weyermann:

"...a highly friable base malt....use up to 50% of grist..."

From Dingemans (in reference to Aromatic):

"...The intensive germination and a mildly kilning will add a very strong malt aroma and a deep reddish color. Amber malt clearly improves flavor stability.  The malt is rather low in diastatic power therefore it can only be used up to 30%."

I would think the Dingemans description is the most accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:54:13 am by RPIScotty »

Ancient Abbey

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 10:12:54 am »
Again, this assumes it is a high-kilned malt.   Northern Brewer claims it has no DP, which suggests it is a low-kilned malt or crystal malt blend.  However, forum folks suggest it is equal to other Abbey/Aromatic malts, which would suggest a high-kilned malt with some DP. 

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 10:30:29 am »
Weyermann is probably not responding, due to two factors...
1) It's the week of Christmas.
2) The Germans really don't seem to respond to emails as often as we do, in the US.

You are correct about getting a Weyeremann malt report by scanning the sack.
And...Dingman's is going to be completely different than Weyermann.
If you have Weyermann, ignore any data on Dingman's, because they know their malt & how it can be used.

I might recommend seeing if Northern Brewer can send you a scan of a recent package & see if you can get data from it.
It will likely get you much closer than Dingman's data.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:32:22 am by Kit B »

RPIScotty

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 11:09:01 am »
What are you using it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk