Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: TYB Franconian Dark Lager vs. WLP940 Mexican Lager | xBmt Results  (Read 1305 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
I absolutely love Vienna Lager, it's one of the very few styles I regularly obsess about perfecting. Over the last couples years, I've been making small(ish) tweaks to my recipe from water chemistry and hops to adding small amounts of less conventional grains. For this xBmt, I was interested to taste the impact a couple different yeasts might have, so I split a batch and hit half with The Yeast Bay's Franconian Dark Lager while the other was fermented with White Labs' WLP940 Mexican Lager Yeast. Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/12/21/yeast-comparison-tyb-franconian-dark-lager-vs-wlp940-mexican-lager-exbeeriment-results/

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: TYB Franconian Dark Lager vs. WLP940 Mexican Lager | xBmt Results
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 06:13:32 am »
My take on the WLP -940 is that it is too clean. A CAP that was split between 940 and 833 was tasted by some friends (BJCP National, and Certified Cicerone, tasting was not blind) both liked the 833, saying it was more "German". I liked the 833.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Re: TYB Franconian Dark Lager vs. WLP940 Mexican Lager | xBmt Results
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 06:17:56 am »
My take on the WLP -940 is that it is too clean. A CAP that was split between 940 and 833 was tasted by some friends (BJCP National, and Certified Cicerone, tasting was not blind) both liked the 833, saying it was more "German". I liked the 833.

I agree that it is remarkably clean. Franconian is very clean too, though to me has a very slight "beery" character that I just love, even if the majority couldn't detect a difference  :-\