Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your favorite Cider yeast?  (Read 3532 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
What's your favorite Cider yeast?
« on: December 21, 2015, 06:52:22 am »
I just got some local cider for a great price and I haven't made any in a couple of years. I remember a Zymurgy article about this (can't find it right now) and the overall favorite among tasters was an English beer yeast. I can't remember which particular strain. Anyway, I'm open for suggestions.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: What's your favorite Cider yeast?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 07:15:46 am »
I like 4766, 002, and 1056 best. They work nicely. I know others have good luck with other strains.
Jon H.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 07:23:38 am »
I used WLP530 (Belgian) and maple syrup to make a Crispin clone. It was awesome.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 07:41:48 am »
Scottish ale yeast was the favorite in Zymurgy.  I thought it was okay.  But still not better than the two best cider yeasts on Earth: Cote des Blancs, and US-05.  Cote des Blancs is super clean, sweet, and appley.  US-05 adds a slight crackery flavor and ends up more tart for some reason, but is very enjoyable.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 09:12:27 am »
I've used US-05, US-04, and various wine yeasts. I never notice a dramatic difference but that's probably because I back sweeten with fresh cider. Every yeast I've used has taken my cider down below 1.000.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 09:32:47 am »
The one nice thing about the Scottish ale yeast is that it doesn't ferment so dry.  Should finish above 1.000, especially if fermented cool around 60 F.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:13:33 am »
The one nice thing about the Scottish ale yeast is that it doesn't ferment so dry.  Should finish above 1.000, especially if fermented cool around 60 F.
That is why I was favoring an English yeast, so I wouldn't have to back sweeten.
Dan Chisholm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 11:01:38 am »
I like Lalvin 71B wine yeast quite a bit. I keg and backsweeten, so I don't mind if my ciders finish dry. I have a batch with D47 ready to go once my current keg kicks. I'll be interested to see how this one turns out in comparison.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 11:14:05 am »
I like Lalvin 71B wine yeast quite a bit. I keg and backsweeten, so I don't mind if my ciders finish dry. I have a batch with D47 ready to go once my current keg kicks. I'll be interested to see how this one turns out in comparison.

+1.  I ferment dry as a bone, then acidify and backsweeten until it's just where I like.  Lots of ways to get there.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 11:23:43 am »
+1.  I ferment dry as a bone, then acidify and backsweeten until it's just where I like.  Lots of ways to get there.
Yes, I learned this year that the acidify step can be crucial. I've had good luck in the past without needing extra acid, but the juice I used this fall made a flabby, insipid cider until I put back some acid.

What acid do you use for your ciders? I've been using some wine acid blend because that's what I have on hand, but I'm wondering if straight malic acid makes a better cider.
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 11:34:40 am »
Yes, I learned this year that the acidify step can be crucial. I've had good luck in the past without needing extra acid, but the juice I used this fall made a flabby, insipid cider until I put back some acid.

What acid do you use for your ciders? I've been using some wine acid blend because that's what I have on hand, but I'm wondering if straight malic acid makes a better cider.

I use malic and really like the acidity. I've never used the wine blend to compare. I also like to acidify because my wife likes a semi-sweet cider and the acid is a nice bright balance for that level of backsweetening.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 04:11:50 pm »
The last two yeasts that I used on cider were Munton's standard and S-34/70. I was happy with both.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 04:25:15 pm »
The last two yeasts that I used on cider were Munton's standard and S-34/70. I was happy with both.
Did you ferment the 34/70 at lager temps and/or lager it cold after primary? I've wondered about lager yeasts for cider myself. I just haven't had a chance to try them out yet.
Eric B.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 07:05:54 pm »
> I use malic and really like the acidity.

+1 - of course, malic acid is found in apples. I use malic in cysers and ciders, but use tartaric in berrymels.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 03:55:06 pm »
Did you ferment the 34/70 at lager temps and/or lager it cold after primary? I've wondered about lager yeasts for cider myself. I just haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Both.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women