Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Krausen and Cider  (Read 7139 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Krausen and Cider
« on: December 21, 2015, 02:45:36 pm »
Do you all typically see krausen when fermenting ciders?

I did my first one in October with S-04. I have to check my notes, but I'm pretty sure there was at least a small krausen.

I've got my second one going now with 3522, and there is zero krausen (but it is fermenting). 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Krausen and Cider
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:50:30 pm »
I've had varying degrees of krausen using nottingham, but never anything that needed a blowoff and it rarely lasted that long.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 02:53:21 pm »
Black Cherry Cider - 4.5 gallon apple juice, .5 gallon black cherry juice

Common Cider - 5 gallons apple juice and 2 lbs brown sugar

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 05:19:36 am »
Sometimes there is krausen but not always.  Usually there will be some for the first few days but after that it's gone.  But sometimes none at all.  But if you have a clear fermenter and good eyesight you can always see CO2 fizz bubbles going up -- that's a sure sign of fermentation, besides the change in specific gravity.  This all makes sense because cider is very low in protein, unlike beer which has plenty of protein -- protein is one of the primary building blocks of foam.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 10:11:03 am »
Thanks.

I'm fermenting in a corny keg, but there is definitely CO2 coming out of solution.  I just thought it was weird that there was no krausen.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 02:20:26 pm »
I haven't seen foam yet with my ciders but haven't ever used "fresh" apple juice as it is unavailable. Pectin and particulate may be a source of krausen WAG.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 04:06:31 pm »
I haven't seen foam yet with my ciders but haven't ever used "fresh" apple juice as it is unavailable. Pectin and particulate may be a source of krausen WAG.

Euge !  Good to see ya back.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:40:24 pm »

I got a huge cider krausen this time that refused to drop until the fermenter was cold-crashed. The yeast was US-05. I'll rack tomorrow most likely and take it as a good sign..
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 04:09:48 pm »
I really love what US-05 does for cider.  Tastes great.  Unfortunately I left my US-05 cider sit for a little too long in the garage without a good seal and it turned into vinegar!  Good tasting vinegar, though, that I will hang onto, maybe make some salad dressings.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 04:20:50 pm »
Wow that sucks Dave. Sorry to hear it. I have an S-05 cider on tap now that's pretty stellar. Glad I dodged the vinegar bomb !
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 04:23:16 pm »
I really love what US-05 does for cider.  Tastes great.  Unfortunately I left my US-05 cider sit for a little too long in the garage without a good seal and it turned into vinegar!  Good tasting vinegar, though, that I will hang onto, maybe make some salad dressings.
I did a side by side with us05 and wine yeast this past fall and us05 was a hands down winner.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 06:47:59 pm »
Wow that sucks Dave. Sorry to hear it. I have an S-05 cider on tap now that's pretty stellar. Glad I dodged the vinegar bomb !

It was only 3 quarts, so no major loss!  Another one of the many advantages to small batch brewing.  Or in this case cidermaking.  :)
Dave

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 06:48:39 pm »
It was only 3 quarts, so no major loss!  Another one of the many advantages to small batch brewing.  Or in this case cidermaking.  :)

There is that !
Jon H.