Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Narrowing Down the Options  (Read 3030 times)

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Narrowing Down the Options
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 03:03:33 pm »

Derek - Not to derail but have you found any good resources on Patersbier/Singles?

I only tried one which was Pilsner/Saaz with Saf-Abbaye yeast. Haven't had much luck finding more info on brewing the style, mashing (I assume step is traditional), etc.

I've found that 100% Belgian Pils to 1.050, mash at 149F, and WY3522 makes for a 'Trappist' Single that wins in comps. And my family can suck a keg of it down in about 2 hours, if that's what you're after.

+1. A little pale malt can't hurt either. I like 3787 for yeast.
Any thoughts on WLP570 in a recipe like this? I want a step-up beer going into a Duvel-style BGSA and I'm on the fence between a basic Single or a hoppy Belgian pale with X-17 and a couple other hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 03:07:07 pm »
WLP570 gets me about 86% apparent attenuation and esters of pear and orange (mostly pear though). If that's what you like, then a Single is an excellent starter beer. That being said, I have never made a starter beer for WLP570 (just a normal starter) and it has served me well. It is a rock solid performer.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

RPIScotty

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 04:27:40 pm »

Any thoughts on WLP570 in a recipe like this? I want a step-up beer going into a Duvel-style BGSA and I'm on the fence between a basic Single or a hoppy Belgian pale with X-17 and a couple other hops.

Great idea. Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPIScotty

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 06:00:51 pm »
So after looking over all my brewing files, I have narrowed down the original list to this:

Single (All year round, emphasis on summer, parti-gyle option with Tripel and Saison)
Dubbel (All year round, emphasis on fall/winter, American malt based version parti-gyle option with Belgian "Mild")
Tripel (All year round, emphasis on summer, parti-gyle option with Single and Saison)
BDSA (All year round, emphasis on fall/winter, Parti-gyle option with Dubbel)
Saison (All year round, emphasis on summer, parti-gyle option with Tripel and Single)
Doppelbock (Traditional w/ emphasis on brewing and preparing for Lent time period)
Baltic Porter (Emphasis on winter)
Imperial Stout (Emphasis on winter)
Barleywine (Emphasis on fall/winter)
Fuller's Classic Parti-gyle (Emphasis on spring, London Pride/ESB/London Porter)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 06:06:16 pm »
I really like all those styles. Hard to go wrong.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 06:13:48 pm »
I really like all those styles. Hard to go wrong.

My goal is to brew 15 times per year.

Baltic Porter, Imperial Stout, Barleywine, Doppelbock and a Fuller's Clone Parti-gyle each once per year.

The remainder of the year (10 brews) will be devoted to my original Trappist "style" interpretations, Trappist and Abbey clones, etc. These are beers I love and want to brew and rebrew to perfect. The occasional parti-gyle with similar styles (Single/Tripel/Saison, Dubbel/Belgian Mild/BDSA) will also be an additional hoot.