Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hobbit Beer  (Read 1648 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Hobbit Beer
« on: January 17, 2016, 03:04:17 pm »
A friend recently came back from New Zealand, and he brought back some hobbit beer.  It's brewed in NZ, and I believe only available at the Green Dragon Inn at Hobbiton.

It's 3.7% abv and has a soft, round flavor with a nice caramel note.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline deathlylost

• Cellarman
    • 1000 Bottles of Beer
Hobbit Beer
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:28:22 pm »
Wow. That sounds nice. Much nicer than the Hobbit beer I tried last night from Fish Tale Ales. I do like an malty English ale.

These were too bitter and seemed much more like a commercial ploy than a strive for really good beer.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:30:08 pm by deathlylost »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hobbit Beer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 02:56:18 pm »
I've always wanted to go to New Zealand and go hobbit hunting.  Problem is, I can't ever find a place online to put in for a hobbit permit application.  I think a pair of big hairy feet mounted over my fireplace would look great.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 03:51:25 pm »
I've always wanted to go to New Zealand and go hobbit hunting.  Problem is, I can't ever find a place online to put in for a hobbit permit application.  I think a pair of big hairy feet mounted over my fireplace would look great.

Just get yourself a wife and all will be good!  ;D

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 09:47:19 am »
My wife and I went to NZ for our honeymoon 3 years ago. We went to Hobbiton and the experience was incredible (we're both big Tolkien fans). The tour (very pricey) included a chit for a beer at the Green Dragon. To be honest, it wasn't great beer they had on tap. If they were trying to replicate "cheap, olde tyme, quick-drinking tavern ale," they nailed it. Certainly not the worst beer I've had but not special by itself. Though, getting to drink it while taking in all the incredible detail within the Green Dragon was priceless.