Author Topic: Another A-B purchase  (Read 1812 times)

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Another A-B purchase
« on: December 23, 2015, 04:21:00 AM »
The beat goes on:

http://fortune.com/2015/12/22/anheuser-busch-buys-breckenridge/?xid=yahoo_fortune&ref=yfp

This is an interesting dynamic between 'big' and 'small' in the industry. Initially it would seem both sides win, but I will be watching to see how it may play out.

"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Another A-B purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 05:37:11 AM »
They also bought Camden Town in the UK. Not slowing down at all.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 02:23:50 PM »
I was having a conversation about this with my dad yesterday. He was saying how much he hated AB-Inbev for buying out all these breweries. But you know what? It goes both ways. Breweries are giving in to the money, they're letting greed get the better of them. It's not just that AB are jerks trying to take over the world beer market, it's also these breweries LETTING them take over. They're perpetuating this nonsense because AB offered them "enough" money, instead of sticking to their principles of being independently owned.

Correct me if I'm wrong... it just doesn't seem like AB is holding a gun to these guys head saying sell to us or die.
Greed is getting the better of humanity, as it almost always does.

From what I'm hearing, New Belgium is wanting to sell now also, probably to some big conglomerate.
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »
The article I was reading about New Belgium was that they were looking for a Private Equity firm, not a multi-national brewery. Is that better, I don't have a clue. An article the next day said it was all rumor.

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »
I was having a conversation about this with my dad yesterday. He was saying how much he hated AB-Inbev for buying out all these breweries. But you know what? It goes both ways. Breweries are giving in to the money, they're letting greed get the better of them. It's not just that AB are jerks trying to take over the world beer market, it's also these breweries LETTING them take over. They're perpetuating this nonsense because AB offered them "enough" money, instead of sticking to their principles of being independently owned.

Correct me if I'm wrong... it just doesn't seem like AB is holding a gun to these guys head saying sell to us or die.

From what I'm hearing, New Belgium is wanting to sell now also, probably to some big conglomerate.

Exactly! You either love what you're doing and stick with it, or you take the money and run. I cant say whether its financial need or greed but its done willingly so I assume its what they wanted to do.
“I’ve never been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved.”
~ George Gobel

Offline beersk

• In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »

Exactly! You either love what you're doing and stick with it, or you take the money and run. I cant say whether its financial need or greed but its done willingly so I assume its what they wanted to do.

Right. I'm not necessarily defending AB, but people only see one side of the story, typically - that AB are evil and trying to ruin the craft beer market. Yes, that's true, BUT, these damn breweries are LETTING THEM.

Jesse

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
IME being purchased outright by a private equity firm means they want to position the company for bigger profits...for the private equity firm. That often means manipulating things to put them in a position to sell.

I have my doubts as to New Belgium selling, but stranger things have happened. Dogfish sold a 15% stake to private equity and no one blinked an eye.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
If I made a living selling something and I had a chance to sell it all, why wouldn't I? Its not like there's more honor in selling pints than kegs, or kegs vs the whole brewery. As far as it ruining craft beer, there's plenty of small breweries already doing that at the pint level.

RPIScotty

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 04:01:43 PM »

If I made a living selling something and I had a chance to sell it all, why wouldn't I? Its not like there's more honor in selling pints than kegs, or kegs vs the whole brewery. As far as it ruining craft beer, there's plenty of small breweries already doing that at the pint level.

Way to nail it on the head Jim. The problem with "Craft" beer is too much "Craft" beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 04:38:25 PM »
That's not the point. The point is people doing it for themselves, their way. Not allowing a big conglomerate to buy them out, contributing to the corporate "reich".
People get into making beer and selling it because it's something they love doing. Selling out is compromising those ideals. This is like Bob Dylan doing commercials. He has stated before he plays music for the money and ONLY FOR THE MONEY. He may write good music, but that is selling out. Period.

Jesse

RPIScotty

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 05:03:54 PM »

That's not the point. The point is people doing it for themselves, their way. Not allowing a big conglomerate to buy them out, contributing to the corporate "reich".
People get into making beer and selling it because it's something they love doing. Selling out is compromising those ideals. This is like Bob Dylan doing commercials. He has stated before he plays music for the money and ONLY FOR THE MONEY. He may write good music, but that is selling out. Period.

So what is more important then? Keeping true to ideals? Or continuing to make good beer? These kinds of decisions would only affect me if the beer in question took a nosedive. If the beer still tastes good then who cares who owns what?

This whole discussion (the larger discussion in the community) is turning into a "war" of ideals. If the beer quality tanks then I'm in the camp that says buyouts are bad. If not, then far be it from me to cast stones at the business decisions of other adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 05:09:48 PM »
As homebrewers we can be all about the beer.

Once you open a brewery you had better be focused on making a profit. If you don't, the doors will get padlocked, all assets auctioned off, and you are a Homebrewer once again.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:55:23 PM by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 05:22:03 PM »
Well, I've never fit in with the mainstream crowd. I've had arguments about selling out with my dad, a long time musician, as well. He says, "If you had the opportunity to play drums on tour with a big name country band, would you?" I say, hell no, I hate that crap. I play what I like to play because I do it for the music, not the money. I'd open a brewery because I thought I could bring good beer to the market and beer would be my main focus, then profit. If you make good beer, the profit should eventually follow. Selling out ideals (a real and dignified thing) to money (a fake and made up thing) is no excuse. Obviously, I'm in the minority in thinking one should have dignity and integrity. Ha!
There's no integrity when one has dollar signs for pupils. But hey, this is why I'll probably never open my own brewery and money isn't something I strive for in life. As long as I can make a comfortable living, I'm happy. But I'm weird that way, too.

Jesse

Offline goschman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 05:28:49 PM »
It's funny, I was at Breckenridge's new facility on Saturday for a tour before any of this news. I didn't realize they currently distribute to 30 something states. Their goal was to get to all 48 contiguous states with their new 110 barrel brewhouse. Looks like the buyout will guarantee that...

Their most popular beer is vanilla porter which is disgusting. Overall, their beer is average in my opinion.
On Tap/Bottled: Haze for Daze IPA, G Pils, Maibock, Kolsch, Summer Gold       

Fermenting: 
Up Next: Euro Pale, IPA

RPIScotty

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 05:41:06 PM »
Well, I've never fit in with the mainstream crowd. I've had arguments about selling out with my dad, a long time musician, as well. He says, "If you had the opportunity to play drums on tour with a big name country band, would you?" I say, hell no, I hate that crap. I play what I like to play because I do it for the music, not the money. I'd open a brewery because I thought I could bring good beer to the market and beer would be my main focus, then profit. If you make good beer, the profit should eventually follow. Selling out ideals (a real and dignified thing) to money (a fake and made up thing) is no excuse. Obviously, I'm in the minority in thinking one should have dignity and integrity. Ha!
There's no integrity when one has dollar signs for pupils. But hey, this is why I'll probably never open my own brewery and money isn't something I strive for in life. As long as I can make a comfortable living, I'm happy. But I'm weird that way, too.

I respect your ideals but agree with Jeff. Professional brewing is a business and not a hobby. IF, and I stress IF, you can be successful AND maintain the ideals and aspirations of a homebrewer then what a wonderful world that would be.