Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Calypso and Citra for a Pale Ale  (Read 4988 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Re: Calypso and Citra for a Pale Ale
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 08:56:43 pm »
Thanks for the info, Dave.  I'm still sitting on my two ounces and keeping tabs on this thread. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 07:10:35 am »
Today I brewed my Calypso/Citra IPA.  I used homegrown Cascade for the bittering and they ended up in line with what I wanted.  I reserved the Calypso and Citra for the whirlpool in a ratio of 3:1.  I am amazed at the pear character from the Calypso.  In 3:1 it even overpowers the strong grapefruit and dare-I-say cattiness of the Citra.  Now I am thinking about a 2:1 ratio might have been most appropriate.  For dry hopping next week I'll do either 2:1 or even 1:1 to help balance this out.  Looking forward to it.  The wort itself right now tastes like pear candy, so good.  Would make some really good hop candy actually.

Sounds like it'll be good either way, Dave. When I did the 3:1 , I either had some super potent Citra or some milder than usual Calypso (or both), because it balanced out pretty well for me. Regardless, sounds great!

Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 09:16:55 pm »
For whatever it's worth, I just tasted my Calypso/Citra IPA this evening.  I was concerned that there would be way too much pear flavor from the Calypso.  Not the case at all.  The Citra overpowers as I'd originally feared once upon a time.  So with dry hopping, I used up the 0.875 oz Calypso that I had in the fridge leftover from the whirlpool, and only used 0.125 oz Citra.  This is only a 2-gallon batch, mind you.  I figure this will be a good way to balance the pear from Calypso with the tropical catty craziness of the Citra.  So we'll see how that works out.  I also noticed a super hot spiciness, like hot chili peppers, which I can only guess is either from my homegrown Cascades or from the Calypso?  Wonder if you guys ever encountered this with Calypso.  There was a lot in whirlpool so it could have gone crazy in the primary.  Hmm.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 10:27:28 pm »
I've never heard of anybody getting heat from a hops addition before Dave - I hope you don't have a brain tumor or something...  :o

I finally brewed with Calypso today and was surprised at their dried pear character.  Reminded of fruit leather in a way.  I brewed an APA with a FWH addition of Millenium, followed by a 170-deg whirlpool for 30 min with 1 oz Calypso.  I hope 1 oz whirlpool in a 3-gallon batch will be enough to get a sense of their character.  I have 2 oz of each of my "test hops", so I was hoping to do a test APA followed by some combos.