Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Gun vs. CP Filler  (Read 27957 times)

Offline nyakavt

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Beer Gun vs. CP Filler
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 12:19:50 pm »
Kai, what's the longest you've kept unpurged tap-filled bottles, and what temperature were they stored?  How long did it take for oxidation to show up, if it has yet?  I'm considering this method to free up keg space since I don't have a special filler, and it will probably be the higher alcohol beers that require 6-12 months of aging. 

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 01:18:50 pm »
they really should last for a long time without oxidation.  for the most part as the beer is filling the bottle the air in the bottle has to leave the opening. their should be very little dissolving of the oxygen (only 18-20%) of the air into the beer during this.  especially if no turbulence.  if you completely top off in the process and cap on the foam, there is really limited ability for the oxygen to affect the beer.  if still worried, an oxygen scavenging cap can be used for those long storage beers.
Don AHA member

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 10:44:40 pm »
Kai, what's the longest you've kept unpurged tap-filled bottles, and what temperature were they stored? 

The beer I keep the longest ist my Doppelbock which, fortunately, benefits from some oxidation.  Other beers have been kep as long as 4-5 months w/o problems I think.

Kai

Offline taku74

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 09:16:11 pm »
Just adding my two cents in that the Beer Gun is quite nice and perhaps worth splurging on.  You may also be able to forgo the accessories kit if you have enough fittings and connectors around in your collection of beer things.  It seems that it's almost a matter of preference between BG and CPF.  I know I've built all kinds of DIY gadgets for brewing that do bring some personal satisfaction.  But, how much is your time and effort worth?  As much as I like DIY, I also like having something that's ready to be used from the get go.

I will add that I have never used a CPF so I'm only stating my preference for what I have used.  I've tried the picnic tap with a jammed piece of a racking cane method with less success.

I also second the idea of a very cold keg and cold bottles to help keep the CO2 in solution.  Otherwise, it's a foamy mess even if you go from the keg that's in the kegerator at optimum serving temperatures.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 06:09:27 am »
Just to add my $0.02 on CPF fillers. I made a really nice one and expected to get rid of my Poor Man's. Turns out they are a PITA to clean and so for anything less than 12 bottles I use the Poor Man's and only pull out the full blown one for large bottling sessions. My version and KS Poor Man's are on my page www.ipass.net/mpdixon
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 09:44:59 am »
FWIW, the method of capping on foam, even with out purging first with CO2 should last as long as a bottle that was filled directly from the bucket.  these arent purged either.
Don AHA member

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 10:01:17 am »
FWIW, the method of capping on foam, even with out purging first with CO2 should last as long as a bottle that was filled directly from the bucket.  these arent purged either.

I don't worry about purging with CO2 either. Technically there can be O2 uptake by the beer while the bottle is filled but I don't worry about it since fixing it would be a pain.

However, this gives me the idea of making a simple beer gun like device where there would be a CO2 line next to the racking cane. That line is connected to the CO2 tank though a simple push button valve and I could first purge the bottle and then fill it with beer. All with the same hand.

Kai

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 10:37:46 am »
KAI

I HAVE A CRYO (FOR NITROGEN) GUN IN MY OFFICE THAT HAS TWO SEPARATE TRIGGERS ACTIVATED BY THE THUMBS.  THEY ARE SIDE BY SIDE I WILL HAVE TO LOOK AND SEE IF THIS HAS POTENTIAL FOR USE AND CONVERSION.  IF SO I WILL POST THE MANUFACTURER ETC.

DON
Don AHA member

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 10:44:44 am »
However, this gives me the idea of making a simple beer gun like device where there would be a CO2 line next to the racking cane. That line is connected to the CO2 tank though a simple push button valve and I could first purge the bottle and then fill it with beer. All with the same hand.

I've thought of making one by doing that, but never worked out exactly how to valve it.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 01:14:54 pm »
KAI

I HAVE A CRYO (FOR NITROGEN) GUN IN MY OFFICE THAT HAS TWO SEPARATE TRIGGERS ACTIVATED BY THE THUMBS.  THEY ARE SIDE BY SIDE I WILL HAVE TO LOOK AND SEE IF THIS HAS POTENTIAL FOR USE AND CONVERSION.  IF SO I WILL POST THE MANUFACTURER ETC.

DON

Might make a nice eisbock with it!  Though I suspect it would freeze at too fast a rate.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 01:17:42 pm »
i was more thinking of using the gun off the nitrogen and connecting the supplies to the co2, keg then you have two valve control with the thumb of the one hand.  i have thought of using liquid nitrogen as a cooling medium instead of a chiller.  little expensive though :P
Don AHA member

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 08:49:03 am »
I have the BBG and really like the performance. I suppose if you need the money, the CPF will do the job but you won't be able to purge with CO2. That's the only real difference. If you can come up with the extra cash the BBG will be worth it for you in the long run. It's very easy to use and maintain as well.

I have the beer gun too.  I love.  Yea, it's a bit pricey.  And I don't bottle all that much, but it's a very well designed, easy to use device.  If you got the $$$, but the beer gun. 

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 10:10:00 am »
I have a CPF and the last 2 times I used it I got beer everywhere but in the bottles so I bought a Beergun and I love it.  Last weekend I found a bottle of pale ale I bottled with it 2 years ago.  It was still perfectly carbonated and not the least oxidized.  It was actually pretty damn good.
I don't use it unless I'm bottling more than a dozen bottles but it's no more hassle to clean or sanitize than my CPF was, and I can fill a dozen bottles in 10-15 minutes by myself once the bottles are sanitized.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline jaicmac

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 07:59:15 pm »
I found that using a CP filler was a bit confusing until I watched Job Plice's video on More Beer's web site: http://morebeer.com/learn_vids/vids_cpfiller
Since I don't use the CP filler often I usually just watch the video before I fill!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 11:11:23 am »
When filling with Picnic tap your pressure should be below 5 psi otherwise you end up with a lot of foam.
When filling with CPF your pressure should be at least 10 psi otherwise you end up with a lot of foam.
I never used Beer Gun.
It is always beneficial when your bottles are also cold.
This is my experience.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com