Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Progress Thread- Keezer Design  (Read 11503 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Progress Thread- Keezer Design
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2015, 05:29:00 am »
Mine is an 8cf. It's almost what I consider a unicorn (mythical) freezer that fits 6 ball locks on the floor perfectly. It's about an inch to shallow and the back kegs need to be offset, so only 5.

It's a Danby that I scored at a screaming deal ($150). The 7cf is available at most Costcos for about $170. My buddy made the collar to match the radius on the freezer and it's basically 99% perfect.

As for faucets, I'm leaning towards flow control perlicks. It would be nice if ventmatics offered more spouts to support different serving pressures without messing with the line length, maybe they will someday. I will most likely go with centered on the front. Side mounting just looks funny to me, though I do understand the utility.

I have considered moving the tank to the outside of the freezer and mounting a secondary dual stage regulator to the underside of the lid. Manifolds will mount on the hump side of the collar, but regulators are too tall since I went with 2x6. This would allow me to have 5-5 gallon and 2-2.5 gallon. Regulators also perform better at room temp, not just the high pressure fill level gauge, but also the response of the body supposedly works better as well.

As I mentioned before, I might add some ridged insulation to the inside, but I'm not sure yet. The collar was noticeably colder to the touch after I added the fans. If I do and ridged foam, I will sandwich it between a sheet piece of 1/2" lumber and the collar to allow for easier mounting of the manifolds and any tubing guides. I'll likely boar the foam out for the faucets so I can use the shortest shanks possible to keep the line and tail out of the way.

Cool thanks, I'm going to add insulation to my collar.  I'm going to do the same and sandwich it so that it makes for a mountable medium.  I too am going to put my tank on the outside.  I'm also going to make a frame from angle and casters to make it easy to move around. I'm definitely steeling your radius color idea.  I also agree with your centering of the faucets.  The end mounting is out of balance to me.  We will see how I like the Vent-matics.  Hope Santa brings me a few parts for the project. 
Jeff B

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2015, 10:02:10 am »
Mine is an 8cf. It's almost what I consider a unicorn (mythical) freezer that fits 6 ball locks on the floor perfectly. It's about an inch to shallow and the back kegs need to be offset, so only 5.

It's a Danby that I scored at a screaming deal ($150). The 7cf is available at most Costcos for about $170. My buddy made the collar to match the radius on the freezer and it's basically 99% perfect.

As for faucets, I'm leaning towards flow control perlicks. It would be nice if ventmatics offered more spouts to support different serving pressures without messing with the line length, maybe they will someday. I will most likely go with centered on the front. Side mounting just looks funny to me, though I do understand the utility.

I have considered moving the tank to the outside of the freezer and mounting a secondary dual stage regulator to the underside of the lid. Manifolds will mount on the hump side of the collar, but regulators are too tall since I went with 2x6. This would allow me to have 5-5 gallon and 2-2.5 gallon. Regulators also perform better at room temp, not just the high pressure fill level gauge, but also the response of the body supposedly works better as well.

As I mentioned before, I might add some ridged insulation to the inside, but I'm not sure yet. The collar was noticeably colder to the touch after I added the fans. If I do and ridged foam, I will sandwich it between a sheet piece of 1/2" lumber and the collar to allow for easier mounting of the manifolds and any tubing guides. I'll likely boar the foam out for the faucets so I can use the shortest shanks possible to keep the line and tail out of the way.

Steve,

I was on fence to regarding the Insulation...I ended up designing it into the collar because I used 1xs
and not 2x's....   I haven't permanently attached the rigid insulation, right now they are pretty snug and slide right in.. Thinking, if I ever need to go thicker  "IF"  then Ill do  2" or sandwich (2) 1.5"  together and increase the R factor rating.. But at at certain point the cost to R factor is not worth it
"Diminishing Returns"... Especially since this is just beer.. :)   I have access to an engineer who does energy calcs... Ill ask him if I feel like bugging him to do a calc... But i have a feeling  we already  the answer

well anyways...

I'm like still really impressed by your ventilation fan concept..8)
JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2015, 10:22:27 pm »
My handy dandy art skillz

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2015, 01:08:14 pm »
Well here is the final KEEZER blueprint's for anyone that wants to build a strong lightweight collar with replaceable or increase the ridgid insulation (if required)

Ideally hope this helps others as it made my build easy and fast, not overly heavy  and not very expensive :)

So far it holds temps like a champ and works as designed!  :).

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2015, 09:36:16 am »
Progress build image's

Items left:

* add hinges; door type or spring loaded freezer)

* apply adhesive to foam insulation panels

Oh and add a small personal fan connected to a digital 24/7 timer. That I will set to come on as I fine tune the Keezer/ cold air temp at collar

Where did you get the plugs for the extra holes? I am thinking about picking up some of these and switching to a picnic tap setup for a bit.
Jesse

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2015, 11:42:00 am »
Progress build image's

Items left:

* add hinges; door type or spring loaded freezer)

* apply adhesive to foam insulation panels

Oh and add a small personal fan connected to a digital 24/7 timer. That I will set to come on as I fine tune the Keezer/ cold air temp at collar

Where did you get the plugs for the extra holes? I am thinking about picking up some of these and switching to a picnic tap setup for a bit.
Beersk,

I went to Lowe's ..

I bet home Depot has them as well

@ Lowes they are in the section were they sell screws, washers, machine screws, etc....

In those pull out bins....in specialty items...
Come in packs of 2 If I remember

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2015, 11:47:24 am »
My current setup as of today;
2 perlick 575ss creamers..love these, they do make the head creamy!

2 perlick 630ss ..haven't used these

Future:
1 perlick probably creamer
1 Stout faucet on nitrogen setup

I want to do coffee and or Stouts on nitro!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2015, 11:53:37 am »
Be sure to train your guests on the use of the creamer faucet.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2015, 12:18:54 pm »
Be sure to train your guests on the use of the creamer faucet.

Steve,

Right, at 1st and even now I tend to pull forward and spill beer..LOL

Not biggie...  but I def. need to get used to them myself..  so get what your saying...

Next up.. is adding the the Wood Tap handles  I have made    :)