Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Simplest Yeast Storage Procedure  (Read 3756 times)

RPIScotty

Simplest Yeast Storage Procedure
« on: December 24, 2015, 11:35:16 am »
Looking for the most dead nuts simple method of storing harvested yeast for repitching. Any insights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S. cerevisiae

Re: Simplest Yeast Storage Procedure
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:38:16 am »

A 250ml flask will work in your case.

RPIScotty

Simplest Yeast Storage Procedure
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 11:40:59 am »

A 250ml flask will work in your case.

I can pitch straight slurry unless it's been sitting for a bit correct?

IIRC it's 1.2x10^9 cells per ml of compacted slurry right?

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 11:44:40 am »
Im sure I will be scolded but here is how i do it. Rack beer off cake and with a sanitized one cup scoop plop into sanitized glass jar. Leave lid on loose and store in fridge. I use one cup for an average gravity beer. 
Jimmykx250

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 12:32:43 pm »
I have eight pint and half-pint Kerr/Ball jars (canning jars) full of yeast slurries in my fridge at the moment. Dead-nuts simple in my book.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 12:53:10 pm »
Im sure I will be scolded but here is how i do it. Rack beer off cake and with a sanitized one cup scoop plop into sanitized glass jar. Leave lid on loose and store in fridge. I use one cup for an average gravity beer.

This is pretty much what I do. I don't make starters and use mainly dry yeast so I will store slurry for up to a month.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 12:59:39 pm »

Yes, you can pitch slurry direct.  The maximum time delta between cropping and repitching without having to make a starter is strain dependent.  Some strains are like cockroaches.  Other strains are more fragile.   Experience repitching a strain in your brewery is the best teacher.

The 1.2 x 10^9 cells per ml figure is a good approximation for most bottom cropped slurry.  As I have mentioned many times, yeast cultures are like nuclear weapons in that a reasonably close approximation is good enough. Exponential growth will take care of the rest.

RPIScotty

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 01:33:13 pm »

Yes, you can pitch slurry direct.  The maximum time delta between cropping and repitching without having to make a starter is strain dependent.  Some strains are like cockroaches.  Other strains are more fragile.   Experience repitching a strain in your brewery is the best teacher.

The 1.2 x 10^9 cells per ml figure is a good approximation for most bottom cropped slurry.  As I have mentioned many times, yeast cultures are like nuclear weapons in that a reasonably close approximation is good enough. Exponential growth will take care of the rest.

I'm looking to repitch WY3787 into an original series of Belgian recipes I'm working on. I'm looking forward to results of a 3rd and 4th repitch.

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 02:47:46 pm »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 12:30:27 pm »
After racking the beer out of the primary, I leave a very tiny bit (think just barely enough to cover the compacted yeast cake) of beer on the yeast.  Vigorously swirl the cake up into suspension, let sit for a few minutes for the major trub and hop debris to settle out, then carefully decant (after sanitizing the carboy opening) into a 500 mL (or so) mason jar filling it to the rim.  Quickly put a sanitized lid on top but don't screw it down all the way tight.  Let it sit in the fridge as cold as possible (mine are about 35F) to settle out.  I tighten the lid down a little at at time over the next day or so just to be sure there is no more outgassing from the yeast/beer and periodically check them to relieve pressure if necessary. Either repitch the next day or two (best) or within a week if need be. 

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 08:01:29 am »
I use plastic lids
http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Regular-Mouth-Storage-Caps/dp/B0000BYC4B

I was going to buy some of those last week and drill them to accept an airlock, but then I found lids that already had the necessary hole.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 01:22:56 pm »
Most of the time an airlock is unnecessary for harvested yeast. It does nothing but take up space in the fridge, but you don't want a sealed container either. The nice thing about using foil is that if pressure does happen to build, it can burp around the rubber band.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 01:39:55 pm »
I use 1/2 gal. plastic containers with snap on lids to store yeast under the beer it's harvested with.  If the yeast builds up pressure the lid simply pops up and nothing explodes.  I've seen pics of glass shards in a fridge due to yeast store stored with the lids on tightly.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 02:22:13 pm »
mason jars work great. just leave lid slightly loose to vent a little at first.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: