Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is there a chlorine/chloramine test?  (Read 4914 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Is there a chlorine/chloramine test?
« on: December 25, 2015, 05:09:49 pm »
I'd like to periodically make sure my carbon filter is still good. I see lots of chlorine test strips on Amazon but are these the right test for checking for chlorine in tap water?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Is there a chlorine/chloramine test?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 05:55:39 pm »
Section 4.1.6 on Bru'n Water's Water Knowledge page presents all you need to know about chlorine testing.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 06:51:55 pm »
That's what I needed to know, thanks!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 10:01:20 am »
If your filter wasn't removing the chlorine/chloramine you'd probably be able to smell and/or taste it. Which one does your water have? If it's chlorine, like mine, you can just leave your water out uncovered in a bucket overnight and the chlorine will be gone. Campden tablets also work if you have chloramine.

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 10:04:06 am »
If your filter wasn't removing the chlorine/chloramine you'd probably be able to smell and/or taste it. Which one does your water have? If it's chlorine, like mine, you can just leave your water out uncovered in a bucket overnight and the chlorine will be gone. Campden tablets also work if you have chloramine.

I think just chlorine.

I just figured this would be an easy way to see when I need to change my carbon filter.

Offline Whiskers

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 01:08:13 pm »
I don't remember the brand, but the chlorine test kit I used before wasn't sensitive enough to detect an amount of chlorine that was in the water in the municipality where I used to live.  It was a colour/strip-type kit and I'm pretty sure I bought it at an online homebrew site.  I can't see pool kits as being the best option as the levels generally used in swimming pools are a lot higher than what's in treated tap water. 

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 01:31:21 pm »
I find that the liquid test kits for Total Chlorine are better than test strips. While it will always be difficult to measure a contaminant that is at near-zero concentration, its better than doing nothing.

Just remember that we really need the level of chlorine compounds to be zero since it only takes teeny levels of those compounds to create perceptible chlorophenol levels in beer.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Whiskers

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 04:09:08 pm »
Perhaps there is an easy way to force the chlorine into a chlorophenol or the like and test organoleptically.  I suppose though that getting a better kit than the one I had is a better way. 

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 10:01:40 pm »
I'll test unfiltered tap water first. If it doesn't detect it then poop.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 10:05:44 am »
I think just chlorine.
I just figured this would be an easy way to see when I need to change my carbon filter.

I use a Brita filter for drinking water and used to treat my brewing water with it. You can tell when the filter needs to be changed by the way the water begins to taste off, which is way more gallons than the manufacturer recommends.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 11:44:49 am »

I use a Brita filter for drinking water and used to treat my brewing water with it. You can tell when the filter needs to be changed by the way the water begins to taste off, which is way more gallons than the manufacturer recommends.
I think that depends heavily on the source water. Our Brita has an indicator on the top that works based on number of pours and I find our water often starts to taste funny before it tells us to change the filter.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 03:33:46 pm »

I think that depends heavily on the source water. Our Brita has an indicator on the top that works based on number of pours and I find our water often starts to taste funny before it tells us to change the filter.

Yes it does, we have real nice water in my neck of the woods.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 04:13:52 pm »
You could also call your water provider and ask them if they use chlorine or chloramine. They should also be able to tell you; a) their target residual for either throughout the distribution system, and; b) the levels that their water quality techs are seeing in the field near your location. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified