Reporting back in on this project, I rehydrated the barrel with near boiling water and decided that, in spite of a little seepage, I would siphon almost 13 gallons of Imperial Porter into it. It leaked a bit into the tray I had it resting on, but I figured the higher gravity of the wort would seal better than plain water, so I let it ride for about a week. It started leaking more after almost a week. It was actually dripping, so I put a 2 quart sauce pan under the end and watched it fill up over a day at which point I tasted a sample. I pulled it all out of the barrel after a week having lost more than I'd like to admit. I will call the missing portion "the roaches' share"
The sample has a lot of oak flavor and almost no bourbon. I will have to carb some up to evaluate it better.
The lesson: don't let your barrels sit empty for over a year.