Author Topic: "Shaken, not Stirred" Summary  (Read 7935 times)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Re: "Shaken, not Stirred" Summary
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2016, 01:02:42 AM »
I use a sheet of aluminum foil.
That seems doable. Still I get his point that the area around my stove is probably suboptimal in several other ways.

I'll spread the aluminum foil over my toilet instead ;-)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2016, 01:06:42 AM »
I used soft scrub on the counter with a clean sponge, which was then used to get enough liquid up that the rest air dried. As far as my hands, I just made sure my fingernail were neatly trimmed and that they were well scrubbed.

Some of that may change, Saccharomyces' routine has piqued my paranoia about sanitization techniques.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
Bumped for fun.

Reading this over... I guess I've been doing active starters for about 4 years now. Time flies

I no longer use 2 active starters for lagers. Everything gets just one, even huge beers.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »
I’ve been doing this since my stir plate died. I follow a two step process with a 2qt starter that I allow to ferment out, crash and split. This gives me a little extra insurance that my yeast is good before I make my shaken starter brewday morning.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »
I’ve been doing this since my stir plate died. I follow a two step process with a 2qt starter that I allow to ferment out, crash and split. This gives me a little extra insurance that my yeast is good before I make my shaken starter brewday morning.
Cool idea. I donate to the cause at my lhbs lol

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »
I still buy yeast every few batches and do this step with the new yeast as well. Too many brewdays where my starter didn’t take off. Happened with the stir plate as well. I think that is why many still feel the need to make a starter days in advance.

I’m also horrible with scheduling and often buy yeast and let it sit. I have three sour cultures, a Brett, and wlp810 that I’ve been meaning to use for months now. Infants aren’t very understanding of hobbies.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »
I'm lucky to have a yeast factory in the neighborhood. They don't sell to individuals, but I can get less than 7 day old packs every Tuesday at my LHBS. I shoot him an email with a will call list, and add Kellers to my wife's shopping list. Rarely use yeast over a month old

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2018, 04:02:43 AM »
I'm lucky to have a yeast factory in the neighborhood. They don't sell to individuals, but I can get less than 7 day old packs every Tuesday at my LHBS. I shoot him an email with a will call list, and add Kellers to my wife's shopping list. Rarely use yeast over a month old
I may have to try that.  Kellers is cool.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
Wow, you are lucky. When I buy local it almost always 3 mo old. It doesn’t bother me. I just spent the last few weeks waking up all my yeast that was a year old. The WY products woke right up. Had some slow starts from the other in the new packaging. One day I’ll give this a try. I could see your fresh yeast being an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B