Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making a Starter  (Read 1449 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Making a Starter
« on: December 29, 2015, 01:47:40 pm »
So my cousin is just getting into the hobby.  As far as building a starter he asked can you use boiled water, nutrient, and table sugar then pitch into that after it cools.  My instinct is to tell him to use DME or LME for his starter because that's what I have always done and read about doing.  Although I am not sure why sugar wouldn't work.  any info as to why it would not be a good idea?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline PrettyBeard

• Cellarman
  • A short sturdy creature fond of drink and industry
Re: Making a Starter
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:55:46 pm »
IIRC the yeast becomes accustomed to sucrose and will shut down before it starts munching on maltose in the final beer.

I suspect it's somewhat more complicated then that though.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:35:01 pm »
IIRC the yeast becomes accustomed to sucrose and will shut down before it starts munching on maltose in the final beer.

That claim is homebrewing myth.  Dry yeast is propagated using a fortified molasses-based medium that is composed mostly of the disaccharide sucrose and the monosaccharides glucose and fructose.  The ability to transcribe enzymes that break the glycosidic bonds that hold sugars more complex than monosaccharides together is part of a yeast cell's genome (see http://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/saccharomyces/carbon-credits) .

Table sugar can be used as a carbon source, but it has to be fortified with a vitamins, minerals, and a source of nitrogen. However, it is not something that I recommend to a new brewer.  DME is the most foolproof medium for the new brewer. 

Unsulphured blackstrap molasses that is fortified with diammonium sulfate (a source of nitrogen) at a rate of 1/4 teaspoon per liter can be used in a pinch.  Blackstrap molasses is what is left over from the refining process; therefore, it contains all of the trace elements and vitamins that were in the original sugar source before it was refined.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:51:24 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline jackmarshall77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 08:19:49 pm »
For a cheap solution just use dried yeast. It works a treat no starter required, even the producers don't recommend it.If you are going to spend the cash on fresh yeast then do it properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 04:29:16 pm »
Makes sense what S. cevrevisiae says,

The ability to breakdown more complex sugars should not be a problem if table sugar is used as the starter. Sucrose "table sugar" plus some nutrients should be good for a starter.

I use LME so I cant personally vouch for it.
I will give that a go next time and post it.

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 01:42:49 pm »
The chemical composition of sugar alone won't work. 

I don't like to spend money needlessly on DME for my starters. Here is an economical way to make them.

I usually don't put the entire contents of my boil pot into the fermenter.  There is always a quart or more left on the bottom.  I take that wort and pour it into a couple of half gallon pitchers and chill for about an hour.  All the break material settles on the bottom and the clean clear wort stays on the top.  Pour the liquid into plastic pint containers (the Chinese soup take out size) and freeze.  When it's time to make a starter pop them on the stove and boil.  If the wort is 1.0040 for example, I cut it with equal amounts of water to make a 1.020 wort.  Perfect for a starter.  Chill the pot in an ice bath and you can have your stir plate spinning with in 30-40 minutes.