Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: safale us-05  (Read 4448 times)

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
safale us-05
« on: December 29, 2015, 02:52:04 pm »
Never used this dry yeast.  How long does it typically take to show some activity?  I've got a dead carboy.

BV

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: safale us-05
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 02:55:10 pm »
Sometimes 24 hours for me.  How long since you pitched?
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 03:28:59 pm »
Sometimes 24 hours for me.  How long since you pitched?

+1

I use 05 quite a bit, and almost every time just when I'm thinking, how long has it been?, a thin krausen forms, and CO2 starts bubbling through the airlock. It does seem to take a solid day, even under ideal conditions.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:42:58 pm »
Perhaps I am inpatient.  Never had to wait this long with any yeast in 17 years of brewing.  Pitched rehydrated yeast 8 hours ago.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 05:05:25 pm »
I use US-05 a lot and I typically see avtivity somewhere between 12-18 hrs. I have had many cases of 24 hrs. Depends on what you want to see to consider activity. You might not have any airlock activity hut the yeast is defenitely doing its thing if all went well prior to and at pitching the yeast.  Short start times are not always a good thing. But neither are long lag times. If you go longer than 24 hrs then you can worry.

What yeasts do you usually use ?

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 06:23:12 pm »
I use this yeast most of the time. I pitch direct and don't rehydrate. Normally see something in the air lock the next morning. I practice no chill and haven't had a problem yet so I'm usually waiting a day to pitch to begin with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmykx250

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 07:30:48 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  It's about 11 hours and I am starting to get some bubbles in the blow off tube when I shake the carboy.  Seems all will be well.

BV

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 07:39:27 pm »
Perhaps I am inpatient.  Never had to wait this long with any yeast in 17 years of brewing.  Pitched rehydrated yeast 8 hours ago.
You've never had to wait 8 hours to see yeast activity? 

"I collect spores, molds and fungus."

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 10:51:07 pm »
I was thinking more like, "You've been brewing for 17 years and you still check your fermentations that early/often?" After my first 2-3 batches, I stopped checking earlier than 2-3 weeks unless it was needed for something like dry hops or temperature adjustment. I've never once had an issue with yeast that was DOA, and I just trust it to do its thing after I pitch.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 05:18:23 am »
For the most part I pitch my yeast off the stir plate and it's all jazzed up.  With dry yeast I simply rehydrate and that probably accounts for the longer lag time.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 07:59:35 am »

I was thinking more like, "You've been brewing for 17 years and you still check your fermentations that early/often?" After my first 2-3 batches, I stopped checking earlier than 2-3 weeks unless it was needed for something like dry hops or temperature adjustment. I've never once had an issue with yeast that was DOA, and I just trust it to do its thing after I pitch.
I can't stop looking at mine. I have a clear fermenter for that very reason.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 08:11:26 am »

I can't stop looking at mine. I have a clear fermenter for that very reason.

I use a stainless bucket so I won't get anxious staring at glass with no perceived fermentation.  ;D

BTW, going 24 hours or so with US-05 is not uncommon for me.

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 08:12:33 am »
Thanks Alestateyall............. :)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 08:27:53 am »
Properly rehydrated 12-18 hours

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 09:31:35 am »
I love looking at mine too.  I wait 8 hours or so then check every couple of hours.  Part of that is to  gain data points on how yeast responds in various situations, but most of it is that I just love watching it bubble.  It makes me happy.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton