Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What ratio of DME to water do you use for your starter?  (Read 4379 times)

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
Re: What ratio of DME to water do you use for your starter?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 03:56:36 pm »
Pitching rate seems such an inexact science I don't normally bother with it. I only measure yeast a bit more carefully if I'm making bread or lager.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 03:59:38 pm »
Pitching rate seems such an inexact science I don't normally bother with it. I only measure yeast a bit more carefully if I'm making bread or lager.
Yup, since switching to pitching active starters I get more reliable results. Works for me

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 07:39:17 pm »
I always run off a 1/2 gallon jug from the mash tun at the end of the sparge. It is usually around 1.015. I freeze this and thaw out a few days before the next brew day. I boil this for 20 mins with some added DME to get around 1.040 to my starter 24 hrs prior to pitching. I pitch it all at high krausen...to my sanitized yeast harvesting ball jar (1/4 qt) and my fermenter...just thought I'd share
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 10:57:52 pm »
Pitching rates, and cell counts have a good deal of margin of error. Conservatively you can expect +-15% accuracy, but may vary more than that. I usually pitch slightly more than http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php suggests as I'd rather pitch a bit more and ensure a good healthy fermentation.