Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best books on commercial brewing?  (Read 12332 times)

Offline jeeyeop

• Cellarman
Best books on commercial brewing?
« on: December 29, 2015, 11:00:23 pm »
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to brewing as it is, so it's just a far off fantasy for me at the moment to one day open a brewery.

However, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on the basics of starting/operating a commercial brewery or brewpub. Right now I'm mainly reading basic beer books + items listed under the cicerone program. Thanks!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Best books on commercial brewing?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 03:07:15 am »
The MBAA series is pretty good. IIRC its 125 bucks for the three books so you better be serious. FWIW I brewed for 15 years before opening my brewery. Not something to be taken lightly. If you don't have really, really good beer and know what you are doing you probably won't be around long.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 06:02:19 am »
It seems, to me at least, that if one enjoys brewing they should look to a brewing job. Owning a brewery is probably more for the guy/gal who loves sales and dealing with bills, taxes, and government regulations.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 06:47:36 am »
It seems, to me at least, that if one enjoys brewing they should look to a brewing job. Owning a brewery is probably more for the guy/gal who loves sales and dealing with bills, taxes, and government regulations.

while I do own a fifth of my brewery I do have partners who take care of that stuff for me. I brew and manage production.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 07:17:45 am »

while I do own a fifth of my brewery I do have partners who take care of that stuff for me. I brew and manage production.
That I could see as a best situation. I would want next to nothing to do with the customer side, or the office. 10min a week in a decision making meeting, then let me go get wet n sweaty.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 07:23:39 am »
The later list is why a guy I know says "opening a brewery is the reason I no longer brew beer". He has hired a Brewer and concentrates on the business side.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 09:46:14 am »

IMO, if one enjoys brewing they should remain a homebrewer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 10:19:31 am »
If you're relatively new to brewing then you should focus on brewing first and maybe get a job at a brewery and see how much you love the amount of time spent cleaning to turn it into a career. Then work some more on perfecting beers that give you a marketable product.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 10:27:58 am »
To your question,
The Brewer's Association Guide to Starting Your Own Brewery
By Dick Cantwell
A great, thorough, very well written overview introduction to those seriously considering opening a brewery.

Brewery Operation Manual
By Tom Hennessy
While I haven't finished, its a good overview. Not as well written as the BA book and seems to take more of a "cheap and easy" approach to going pro, which may be perfect for some.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline jeeyeop

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 01:39:21 pm »
appreciate all the advice guys!

Yep, I'm still only a few months into brewing so I know this would be a whiles away before becoming a reality. I just wanted to get some insight into the industry while I have time to read.

I actually quit my job earlier this year on the East coast and moved to Cali cause I hated consulting and wanted to do something with beer. I have been looking for that first job in the industry, but man, it's tough to find any assistant brewing position right now.

I was already thinking about the MBAA set so I think I'll definitely purchase it now.

I've heard some negative things about the BA guide to starting your own brewery, can anyone else confirm whether or not this is a good idea? The brewery operation manual looks pretty solid though from reviews although your comments make me feel otherwise now :[

Thanks again guys!

btw off-topic, how did you guys find your first commercial brewing jobs?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 02:45:08 pm »

Yep, I'm still only a few months into brewing so I know this would be a whiles away before becoming a reality. I just wanted to get some insight into the industry while I have time to read.

I actually quit my job earlier this year on the East coast and moved to Cali cause I hated consulting and wanted to do something with beer. I have been looking for that first job in the industry, but man, it's tough to find any assistant brewing position right now.

I was already thinking about the MBAA set so I think I'll definitely purchase it now.

I've heard some negative things about the BA guide to starting your own brewery, can anyone else confirm whether or not this is a good idea? The brewery operation manual looks pretty solid though from reviews although your comments make me feel otherwise now :[

Thanks again guys!

Look at the current Zymurgy, there is an article by Tom Hennessy covering starting a brewery for minimum cash. Form your own options after reading that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 02:46:57 pm »

Thanks again guys!

Keep in mind, neither of the books I mentioned are intended to be comprehensive (I hope), but rather provide a very good general overview of the things you will need to think about and address if you're considering going down the road of professional brewing, like you. Neither are expensive nor long reads, pick them up and  take away what you will.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 02:58:51 pm »
I've heard some negative things about the BA guide to starting your own brewery,

Could you please provide some specifics, or point me toward the reviews your read?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline jeeyeop

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 03:13:31 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/Brewers-Associations-Guide-Starting-Brewery/dp/1938469054

it could just be because it's not a fully comprehensive book, but it does seem like an interesting read nonetheless. I'm looking at the Zymurgy article now and it's pretty interesting as well.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 03:14:52 pm »
4-stars on 38 reviews is respectable IMO.