Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Time limit on LME?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Time limit on LME?
« on: January 29, 2016, 06:42:56 am »
I gave a casual friend of mine a bottle of my latest which he enjoyed, and he returned the "favor" with a can of LME with a March 2014 date on it.

I tried to tell him my inclination is not to waste my time trying to brew with LME that old, but it didn't register with him.

Comments please and thanks.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Time limit on LME?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 06:58:46 am »
Use it to make a stash of starter wort
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 08:39:37 am »
Make an Old Ale with it and lots of caramel malt, the age it for a year.  At some point the aging will wipe out the extract twang.  Took a bronze in the old national AHA club competition with very old LME, so it'll work.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 09:39:41 am »
One of the other recommendations I recall from old threads (or perhaps even TechTalk) is to over pitch.  For some reason, more yeast works well with old LME.  At least that's my recollection.

It will make beer either way.  But I think an Old Ale might be a good suggestion.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 10:13:12 am »
When you say age it for a year, what temperature are you talking about? I could throw it in a fridge for a year, but would not be able to keep it at cellar temperatures.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 04:15:36 pm »
Cellar temps.  Sorry for the delayed response.

Offline PrettyBeard

• Cellarman
  • A short sturdy creature fond of drink and industry
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:15:29 am »
A friend of mine recently brewed a 6 year old can of pilsner LME.  It came out the colour of Schwartzbier. Haven't had a chance to taste it yet, maybe this weekend, but it sounds like it fermented fine.