Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starter Kit  (Read 886 times)

Offline ShotShell_Rebel

• 1st Kit
Starter Kit
« on: December 30, 2015, 02:19:28 pm »
Just got a Deluxe Kit from Northern and noticed that it did not come with a cap or burper option wanted to see if I could do the process in one of the large water bottles are there any universal cappers and or burpers for these?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Offline IPAnic

• Cellarman
Re: Starter Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 04:58:38 pm »
If you're referring to "water cooler" style bottles, it's probably not a good idea to use that as a fermenter. First - unless you can confirm with the bottle manufacturer that the material won't break down from cleaning or sanitizing solutions...or allow O2 to permeate the bottle, you're taking a good risk of making really bad beer. Second - there are way too many "nooks and crannies" to clean and sanitize in the "water cooler" bottles I'm familiar with. IMO - spend a couple extra bucks ($25 +/-) and get a fermenting bucket, carboy etc. with smooth surfaces (on the inside). Your fermenter needs to be cleaner than clean and completely sanitized. It's really impossible to ensure a vessel is clean and sanitized if it has lots of places for bad critters to hide - "nooks and crannies".

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Starter Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 05:44:37 pm »
Just got a Deluxe Kit from Northern and noticed that it did not come with a cap or burper option wanted to see if I could do the process in one of the large water bottles are there any universal cappers and or burpers for these?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. Can you post a link to the exact kit you're talking about?
Pictures are worth a whole lot of words.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge