Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Acid solution for Beerstone  (Read 4058 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Acid solution for Beerstone
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 03:14:01 pm »
I am not sure of the speed of the distilled vinegar process - I soaked in a 5% solution (straight from the gallon jug of the stuff, which is labeled as 5%) for about an hour and upon scrubbing with a blue scrubby, I found no discernible difference occurring, so I dumped it and rinsed repeatedly and am now soaking my BK in PBW for the second day.  I am pretty sure it will peel off the beerstone, but I have BKF at the ready, if the PBW falls short...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 03:28:24 pm »
I am not sure of the speed of the distilled vinegar process - I soaked in a 5% solution (straight from the gallon jug of the stuff, which is labeled as 5%) for about an hour and upon scrubbing with a blue scrubby, I found no discernible difference occurring, so I dumped it and rinsed repeatedly and am now soaking my BK in PBW for the second day.

Thanks for the info. I was gonna use it soon but that doesn't sound like something to spend time on.

Jon H.

Offline MoreHops

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 07:25:10 am »
I used to have this problem when I would just soak my brew kettle with PBW after brew day.  It would leave a lot of residue.  I started using about 1 Oz of 85% phosphoric acid in about a half gallon to gallon of water and letting that soak followed by PBW.  That usually worked pretty well but not perfect.  Now I just scrub with Bar Keepers Friend after I'm done brewing.  That stuff is like magic. No need for PBW or the acid wash. 

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 08:52:28 am »
Acid 5 is my preferred cleaner of choice, but 5 star is a little wary of that one being in the homebrew market since you can very easily be an idiot with it.

Otherwise, I use citric acid or BKF.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison