Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: water profile  (Read 1437 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
water profile
« on: January 03, 2016, 10:43:24 am »
I live on a private well and the outdoor spicket i use for brewing is not run thru the water softner. I do run it thru a carbon filter that I hook up to the hose. Im getting my water analyzed by ward and I believe i should be sending in the un-softened water for analysis because thats what I ill be brewing with and I have read that un-softened water is what I should brew with correct?
The only thing i dislike about my water is the high iron/sulfor content. We plan to get a whole house iron filter but that will not go to the outside spicket.
Am i better off just buying bottled water? Sorry for the rambling post im having a hard time just picking a direction to go here.

Jimmykx250

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: water profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:54:03 am »
If you're not happy with the quality of your untreated water to drink, you'll unlikely be happy to brew with either.  That said, I would certainly have it tested to know what you have. I would do it at least once more during the year when the water table may be lower, things change. 
If you have access to Reverse Osmosis treated water you can go that route 100% and build your water profiles by adding salts batch to batch, or use the RO to dilute your well water to acceptable levels and adjust from there.

Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 01:25:52 pm »
Whether or not you brew with softened water depends on the hardness of the raw water. I'm guessing that your water is from a non-carbonate aquifer and is not that high in Ca or Mg. If that is actually the case, there is a good chance that the softener takes out the iron and leaves you with an acceptable water without excessive sodium. So, don't discount using softened water.

Since you are on a well, there is little value in using a carbon filter. There is no chlorine and there shouldn't be taste and odor components that this filter can remove.

Don't punt your water yet. It is possible that it is usable. But you do have to have the water report. RO is a fallback option.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 02:35:30 pm »
Whether or not you brew with softened water depends on the hardness of the raw water. I'm guessing that your water is from a non-carbonate aquifer and is not that high in Ca or Mg. If that is actually the case, there is a good chance that the softener takes out the iron and leaves you with an acceptable water without excessive sodium. So, don't discount using softened water.

Since you are on a well, there is little value in using a carbon filter. There is no chlorine and there shouldn't be taste and odor components that this filter can remove.

Don't punt your water yet. It is possible that it is usable. But you do have to have the water report. RO is a fallback option.

So are you saying I should send the non softened water to ward for the analysis? I do have a water report after the softner that was done by the state when i bought the house 10 years ago. I remember talking to the guy and he said my softner was doing a good job and not to mess with the settings. Im not ruling anything out either just trying to figure out what the best path to take is. Thanks for your input!
Jimmykx250

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 05:03:29 pm »
Post the softened water numbers, even though the report is old. That will give a rough idea of the water in your area, and how high the Na.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 04:57:49 pm »
I have no how to post a picture- cant find it on the help forum,
Jimmykx250

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 04:59:18 pm »
I have no how to post a picture- cant find it on the help forum,

Here ya go :      https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=20.0
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 05:33:24 pm »
Thanks!
Jimmykx250