Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finally Brewed First Batch  (Read 1483 times)

Offline nicomiranda

• 1st Kit
Finally Brewed First Batch
« on: January 15, 2016, 06:19:17 am »
Hello fellow beer lovers.  I finally got to brewing my first batch a few weeks ago.  I Brewed a 1 gallon kit of Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewer.  It was quite the experience with some mishaps, but I've been told that can happen on thr first batch.  First issue was my kit came incomplete but since it was my first kit I didn't know the difference.   When I finally got to brewing and following the instructions I found that I was short a grain bag and 1 pouch of hops.  I had already busted thr kit open and had to find a way to fix it so I can go about my journey.  I went to the homebrew store and bought a 1 ounce pouch of hops.  When I got home I realized I forgot the grain bag so I decided to use a couple of coffee filters tied at the top.  It seemed to do the trick, had some grains come out of the filter, but I figured I could avoid those when I siphoned.  My second issue was I didn't have a scale so I couldn't really measure my hops.  I kind of had to look online and see what people guesstimated.  Well see how it turns out.   Have any of you ever had to do any tweaks like I had to?  I'd really like to hear it. So far really enjoying the process in homebrewing.  Just wanted to share my first homebrew experience with you all.

This was the carboy a few days after brewing.

Any thoughts, advice and words of encouragement are welcomed.

Nicolas Miranda
California Castaway
www.californiacastaway.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Finally Brewed First Batch
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:44:26 am »
Are you interested in continuing with one gallon batches? I ask this because IME it's easy to make a good recipe bad because of a minor problem in measurements or some other brew day issue that would otherwise not be noticeable in bigger batches.

Welcome to brewing by the way! My best advice is to keep your expectations somewhat low on small kits like this. If you think you'll be brewing for a while look into a 5 gallon setup and fermentation control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline nicomiranda

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:58:31 am »
Are you interested in continuing with one gallon batches? I ask this because IME it's easy to make a good recipe bad because of a minor problem in measurements or some other brew day issue that would otherwise not be noticeable in bigger batches.

Welcome to brewing by the way! My best advice is to keep your expectations somewhat low on small kits like this. If you think you'll be brewing for a while look into a 5 gallon setup and fermentation control.

I wanted to start with a 1 gallon batch and will probably continue for a couple more batches.   I do also have a 5 gallon setup.  Figured the 1 gallon would be a nice way to eaze myself in.  In the future I would like to use the one gallon setup for experimentation with yeasts and hops and adding other ingredients as well.  That way if I screw it up I won't be as heartbroken as if I screwed up a 5 gallon, and neither will my wallet... Lol.  Thank you for the response and advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 07:02:58 am »
Welcome to the obsession! Yes, we have all had mishaps along the way so you've already learned a lesson in organization and being sure you've got everything you need before brewing a batch.

Good note taking during brewing is important as well so you can refer back to things and make any adjustments.

As for your first batch, it appears its done fermenting, take a gravity reading and if it doesn't change in a day or two and is close to or what the recipe states, its done so plan on bottling it up! Cheers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 07:04:05 am »
The other thing I'll mention is the time involved is not a whole heck of a lot different than larger batches. Now, if you bottle that's a different story. A few weeks to a month is a while to wait for 8 beers or so.

Offline Chris S

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 08:01:53 am »
Sounds (and looks) like a good brew day, all in all. Once you are really hooked, you will discover that every brewer has a MacGyver inside of him or her just waiting to be tested.

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:12:57 am »
Bottling day Make sure you're organized and have everything within arms reach. Don't wanna be fumbling around for caps. Lol
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway