Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Questions about competitions...  (Read 2723 times)

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
Re: Questions about competitions...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 01:18:44 pm »
This conversation reminds me why I'm not a big fan of competitions. Logistically I get why competitions are setup this way. I just have a hard time accepting that the better tasting beer would lose because one of it's characteristics doesn't quite match the style guide.

Then again I do see the value that feedback on individual characteristics and consistent judging can provide to our ability to learn how to manipulate our process and recipe's to achieve a desired result.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:20:40 pm by norcaljp »
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 02:38:20 pm »
I thought competitions sounded kinda dumb, too, but then I entered one, didn't agree with one judge's assessment and decided to be a judge.  Now I see that the style guidelines are necessary to attempt to set an objectively determined criteria to what is inherently subjective.  I have given beers a score that indicates that the beer is not adhering to technical style requirements, but then let the brewer know that it may be a perfectly fine beer, otherwise.  I even go out on a limb to compliment the brewer, if it is particularly good, despite style issues.  This goes back to the commercial brewers, who are freer in their categorization of beers and allow substantial stylistic drift.

Now when I enter a competition, I know that order of the flight, handling of the beer, pouring of the beer and even lighting conditions of the competition may have impacted any one score and I am convinced more than ever that packaging the bottle for a competition may be a huge difference between a beer that comes out of the gate well and one that appears lacking at first glance.  For this reason, I try to give a beer a healthy chance and always go back to it before finalizing my bottom line number.

In the end, the competition should be fun for the entrant and a worthwhile experience for the judge.  Be civil and honest and find something to encourage the brewer, if the beer falls short.  New brewers appreciate the feedback and may improve their brewing more quickly as a result of good feedback; old pros know not to enter a beer unless it is pretty darn good and they do everything they can to make sure it will hold up through the process to get to the judge's glass in the best shape it can be.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 02:58:01 pm »
Look at the commercial calibration reviews in Zymurgy, those beers are 38 +/- a few points. Good Homebrew scan be in the 40s. Freshness counts in many styles.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 03:29:12 pm »
I remember judging American Barleywines once in a flight that the organizer had sneaked in a two-year old Bigfoot.  I think I commented that it needed some age to blend the flavors, or that it seemed too rough.  We had three better homebrews in the flight.  I hate it when they do that, though.  It's like they're trying to trick you.  Judging is hard enough without somebody trying to catch you making a mistake.
Lately around here the commercial brewers are only one step away from being homebrewers.  I have twice (or more) the experience of some of the new start-up pros.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 03:33:59 pm »
I have been to other types of competitions besides BJCP. Where I used to live there was an annual people's choice competition. Styles were not considered. All attendees at a party simply voted for their favorite beer (they had a favorite label contest also).

My club in the same town also did an Iron Brewer contest where brewers had to use 3 specified ingredients (1 malt, hop, yeast). Brewers could add other ingredients and brew anything. That one was judged by an 3 judge panel just for best taste. Those were fun when the ingredients weren't too crazy. 

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 04:48:05 pm »
For this reason, I try to give a beer a healthy chance and always go back to it before finalizing my bottom line number.

And this is greatly appreciated.

I once observed a BOS judging round in a large 600+ entry comp where the final BOS beer was almost kicked off the table countless times. As the beer continued to warm (Sweet Stout) over the judging period, more and more aromas and flavors were coming out which eventually led that beer to win the best overall.