Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg PSI  (Read 2109 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Keg PSI
« on: December 31, 2015, 06:40:11 am »
I'm looking for confirmation on a way to verify carbonation level in full kegs that are lagering. This is for kegs that are already carbonated obvioudly.

I'm thinking of getting a spare gas-in quick connect and attach a low pressure gage to it (0-50 maybe). I'd like to be able to open my lagering chest which is set at 38F (I can set it to whatever temp I chose) and simply pop the quick connect w/gage to read the current pressure and determine volume of CO2. For example, 2.7 volumes at 38F should read 13.3 PSI according to my Brewer's Friend keg pressure calculator.

Will this work? Have you done it before?

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Re: Keg PSI
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 06:57:53 am »
I recall in some of my older books, people putting schrader valves on a bottle cap so they could test if their naturally carbonated bottles were carbonated.  They would install a valve on a plastic bottle with a screw cap, and test the bottle with their tire gauge...

Sound like the same deal... but with a bit biger bottle.    ;D

You could install something like this in all your lids and then just touch each one with a tire gauge.

http://www.zoro.com/tru-flate-clamp-in-valve-0305-32-1-14in-30-463/i/G3401632/?gclid=CjwKEAiAwZO0BRDvxs_1w-qFnhkSJABo10gg57bT682RgqgYVTYzDCZqBn-DYj2fH-Oao0vbyML4bRoCmITw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

(there are threaded versions as well)

The lower tech way I have been doing it is just connect up the kegs to a CO2 tank at pressure and see if there is any inrush sound. 

Good luck!

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 07:07:21 am »
Should work fine. You could add an adjustable PRV to it and use it as a spunding valve for pressurized transfers. Homebrewfinds is constantly posting about parts to make a spunding valve.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 07:15:24 am »
At this point I'm looking for verification that a carbonated equalized keg will read the proper pressure at a known temp. I suspect it will, but hearing from someone who knows from experience would be cool.

I like your ideas. The trouble with the tire guage trick is finding one that is extremely accurate at low pressures. I know from experience that the cheap ones vary quite a bit unless you are measuring at the pressures they are designed for. But its a cool idea. One could probably just drill a hole in the lid and install a stainless valve stem. But that adds even more parts to clean and sanitize. I think I could build a gaged quick connect for under $20.

Offline Stevie

Keg PSI
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 07:28:03 am »
Yes it will work and yes you can do it on the cheap, Look on Homebrewfinds they have links to the parts you need. If you don't want the PRV, can replace the tee in their build with a coupler.

Having the PRV would be nice in cases where you over carbonated. You can set the PRV to open at a given pressure and let it be for a day or two.

Some shops sell these as well. I know Williams does.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 08:26:21 am »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 08:40:41 am »
I have used the sounding valve type QD to check pressure when naturally carbonating. It works.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 12:56:09 pm »
http://www.morebeer.com/products/ball-lock-qd-adjustable-pressure-valve-wgauge.html

This might be what you are looking for.
Thanks. Thats close, but just a gage on a CO2 in disconnect is what I think I'm after. It will basically be like a tire pressure gage but fits the CO2 In post. I can snap it on, read pressure,  snap it off, move on to next keg.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 12:56:33 pm »
I have used the sounding valve type QD to check pressure when naturally carbonating. It works.
Bingo, thanks

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 01:01:46 pm »
Thanks. Thats close, but just a gage on a CO2 in disconnect is what I think I'm after. It will basically be like a tire pressure gage but fits the CO2 In post. I can snap it on, read pressure,  snap it off, move on to next keg.

I've seen that in some homebrew catalog or other, but I cannot remember which one.  Somebody definitely sells it though.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 02:57:21 pm »

Bingo, thanks
After you read the pressure you have to release the pressure to clear the gauge. If you have no relief valve you should be able to press the button inside the QD.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 03:04:26 pm »

Bingo, thanks
After you read the pressure you have to release the pressure to clear the gauge. If you have no relief valve you should be able to press the button inside the QD.
Good point, thanks. I'll come off the QD to a T to the gage and a bleeder.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 03:06:32 pm »

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 07:17:21 pm »
How about this?