Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Troubleshooting at Club Meeting in Action  (Read 1977 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Troubleshooting at Club Meeting in Action
« on: January 05, 2016, 12:10:41 pm »
In the Falcons we have an old tradition called Troubleshooter's Corner, which I revived a few years back to help brewers out in a slightly less intimidating environment than the full meeting room. I decided to put it up on periscope.tv the other day and then captured it for everyone to see.

Here's a little writeup about Troubleshooter's and how I view it.

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/blogs/drew-beechum/troubleshooters-corner-video
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Troubleshooting at Club Meeting in Action
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 01:14:46 pm »
Looks great Drew, did not watch the whole video (at work) but I love the idea behind it. I know the Bloatarians are willing to evaluate a brew at meetings as well, I just have not made it to enough meetings. I was very happy to get feedback from the Siamese moose at the one meeting I did attend. As you say, he was very open, encouraging, and told me what he liked and did not like about my Saisons. He was specific, with process improvements likely to help me with future batches and the smaller setting than the whole meeting was nice as I knew almost no one there except for him and 2 employees from Listermann's LHBS. I'll definitely be watching the whole video at home when I have the time. Thanks for posting
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 01:19:16 pm »
Good stuff.
On a side note I like to occasionally visit local clubs on my travels, and present one of my best beers to them as "wife got me a Mr Beer; let me know what you think". Then leave them wondering who the savant is. I'm not a nice person.   ;D

Note this only works when your face isn't instantly recognizable among brewers. 
On a serious note, it does tell me a lot about how friendly, helpful, welcoming clubs are to noobs, and if any are set in their ways on styles.

Thx
--Michael

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 01:37:06 pm »
Thank you for posting, Drew. At our club meetings, we have about 12-14 people attend. So our meeting is a trouble shooting session. The guide lines at the bottom of the blog is a good reminder on how to help our fellow home brewers. Thanks again!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 01:54:05 pm »
Yeah, our "main" meeting is between 60-100 people so that can be a bit much for anyone to present in front of or for people to give honestly critical feedback.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 02:41:07 pm »
My club does a separate tech session each month with a specific topic, but then allows time for this same kind of thing.  We aren't real formal about segregating a specific portion of time to devote to the small group feedback, but I think that would be a good way to assure that newer brewers/those experiencing an issue have a known source of feedback in a small group context.  I will suggest this at our next meeting.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 05:41:47 pm »
On a side note I like to occasionally visit local clubs on my travels, and present one of my best beers to them as "wife got me a Mr Beer; let me know what you think". Then leave them wondering who the savant is. I'm not a nice person.   ;D

If you ever find yourself in Baton Rouge on the second Wednesday of the month, let me know.  You've just become my 'cousin' that just tried out brewing with a Mr. Beer kit from Christmas.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:18:08 pm »
My club is small enough that we all sit at a long table (normally about 20 or so of us show on a typical night) and we just pass around homebrew.  Many of the club members are BJCP judges (~40% or so), so its great for honing our senses as judges and helping all of us to troubleshoot our beers.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 06:24:50 am »
I have a club of 1, but i meet frequently.  I've only met one other home brewer from my county. My closest LHBS is an hour away in another State. They have a club but every time I look at their "next club meeting date" its about 6 months ago. When they decide to get active, I'm always working that night.

This forum helps make up the difference,  but it makes doing blind triangle tests and troubleshooting sessions a little expensive. My Rube Goldberg thing cost me $50 but well worth it!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 10:49:38 am »
In our club, no one will admit to having a problem beer!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 11:09:18 am »
In our club, no one will admit to having a problem beer!

How about problem brewers? :)
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<