Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how much detail for category 23 entry?  (Read 3777 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: how much detail for category 23 entry?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 01:27:26 pm »
I don't want to dismiss what PORTERHAUS has said as I don't really disagree.  However, you'll find the judging will vary significantly so at some point it's not worth worrying about.  Give your beer the best shot you can, and then understand there's nothing else you can do.  I just got a gold medal for a beer that was destroyed in the NHC First Round.  In another comp the same weekend, it scored a 22.  Such is life.

I am coming to believe that at a certain point in an advanced homebrewer's career, entering competitions becomes a very low value, diminishing returns kind of thing.  I might not enter any competitions anymore, I'm not sure.  When you can criticize your own beer 10 times better than anyone else can, it might be time to save the money.  Now...... if competitions were free to enter, then maybe that would be something.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 02:02:48 pm »
I don't want to dismiss what PORTERHAUS has said as I don't really disagree.  However, you'll find the judging will vary significantly so at some point it's not worth worrying about.  Give your beer the best shot you can, and then understand there's nothing else you can do.  I just got a gold medal for a beer that was destroyed in the NHC First Round.  In another comp the same weekend, it scored a 22.  Such is life.

I am coming to believe that at a certain point in an advanced homebrewer's career, entering competitions becomes a very low value, diminishing returns kind of thing.  I might not enter any competitions anymore, I'm not sure.  When you can criticize your own beer 10 times better than anyone else can, it might be time to save the money.  Now...... if competitions were free to enter, then maybe that would be something.

Absolutely. That is the other side of the same coin obviously. Comps can be very hit and miss.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 04:00:12 pm »

I don't disagree but I find $7 entries to be affordable to get unbiased judging of my beers. I don't take my scores or feedback as the bible but sometimes it helps me to critique and understand how to make my beer better. I usually enter 1-2 comps a year and don't see myself doing it that often moving forward. I don't have many others drinking my beer so it's good to get some type of feedback.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 08:47:02 am »
Thanks for the help. I got my scores back and it did pretty poorly. I must have a horrible palate...

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 02:16:53 pm »
Thanks for the help. I got my scores back and it did pretty poorly. I must have a horrible palate...

Did you end up entering it as a Baltic Porter?  Did they comment on any "spice" noted?  Too dry for the style?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 05:27:46 pm »

Did you end up entering it as a Baltic Porter?  Did they comment on any "spice" noted?  Too dry for the style?

Went with Baltic Porter which seems to have been a mistake but not sure my scores would have been much better. My main frustration is one judge distinctly notes DMS and sourness while another judge distinctly notes no DMS or diacetyl. Bad bottle? One judge picked up on the spices a lot and noted esters and phenolics.

I had this beer next to a Baltika Porter and they tasted very similar to me...