Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch Sparge question 1st running amounts and 2nd runnings  (Read 6653 times)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
Re: Batch Sparge question 1st running amounts and 2nd runnings
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 03:29:59 pm »
It may be purely anecdotal and I would advocate for a good experiment by someone independent on the issue - but raising the mash temp up at the end by adding hot sparge water seems to improve beer body and head retention in my experience.

Do you mean a single infusion I assume? I sparge hot ( 185 -195F) and do like the results. I'd be curious to see an Xbmt. And you batch sparge, right ?

Hoosierbrew,

Is that your actual mash out temp 185F/ 190F

Or is that just the temp that use to get 168/170F during the actual mash out , heat loss etc....???

You have some explaining to do..lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 03:37:04 pm »
I heat my sparge water to 185-195F to raise the grain bed into the neighborhood of 170F, the temp for a mash out. However I don't hold the temp for a period of time, I just drain at that point. So it's sort of a faux-mashout.
Jon H.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 03:54:45 pm »
I heat my sparge water to 185-195F to raise the grain bed into the neighborhood of 170F, the temp for a mash out. However I don't hold the temp for a period of time, I just drain at that point. So it's sort of a faux-mashout.
Thanks I was like dang  he's brave!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)