Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Brown Ale  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
American Brown Ale
« on: January 03, 2016, 05:15:14 pm »
Finally looking to brew a few all-grain batches again. Thoughts on this recipe?

1.052 OG
80% Maris Otter
10% Amber Malt
0.5% Chocolate Malt
0.5% Caramel 60

For hops, I'm not sure what to use. I have Amarillo, Cascade, Columbus, Crystal and Simcoe on hand. I prefer my brown ales to be fairly bitter, definitely want to balance out the malt well.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: American Brown Ale
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 05:55:34 pm »
The malt bill looks great. Should be nutty.   All those hops look good.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 05:47:41 am »
Here's what I'm thinking for hops:

Targeting ~55 IBU
first wort: 0.75 oz cascade
60 minute boil
45 min: 0.5 oz columbus
30 min: 0.5 oz cascade
15 min: 0.5 oz columbus
0 min: 0.75 oz cascade

Should this work?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:56:24 am by Phil_M »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 06:01:41 am »
Personally, I'd use Cascade for everything after 45 mins. I love Columbus but it might be a tad assertive as a flavor hop for this style. But in a pinch it would work fine.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:44:25 am »
Personally, I'd use Cascade for everything after 45 mins. I love Columbus but it might be a tad assertive as a flavor hop for this style. But in a pinch it would work fine.

I've never used it outside of bittering, so I have no idea how it would work as a late addition. At the same time, I really don't want this beer to be just Cascade, but I'm not familiar enough with the rest of my hops to know what to use. (This is the second original beer I've brewed since buying them all.)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:47:50 am »

I've never used it outside of bittering, so I have no idea how it would work as a late addition. At the same time, I really don't want this beer to be just Cascade, but I'm not familiar enough with the rest of my hops to know what to use. (This is the second original beer I've brewed since buying them all.)

Of what you have on hand, you could use Amarillo or even Crystal @ 15 mins. Crystal is a lager hop that works well in ales. Like I said the Columbus would work ok too, if need be.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 09:08:27 am »
I may go with crystal then. I've gotten a bit of a iced tea with lemon vibe from Amarillo in sweeter beers, so I'll likely steer clear of that hop.

Maybe I'll still use the Columbus for bittering, and do:

FWH: 0.75 oz Columbus
30 min: 1 oz Cascade
15 min: 0.75 oz Crystal
0 min: 0.75 oz  Crystal or Cascade.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:09:01 am »

Of what you have on hand, you could use Amarillo or even Crystal @ 15 mins. Crystal is a lager hop that works well in ales. Like I said the Columbus would work ok too, if need be.

I have made a brown ale using Crystal as a late addition and I really liked the flavor and aroma.  Similar grain bill and neutral yeast (WLP001).  I think I used Northern Brewer or Magnum for bittering.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 10:08:28 am »
Here's my recipe for you to compare to yours.  I've won quite a few awards with this one...

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NotiBrownAle
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 10:24:52 am »
Here's my recipe for you to compare to yours.  I've won quite a few awards with this one...

No 1450 in this one?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 11:02:08 am »

No 1450 in this one?

I'm betting that recipe predates Wyeast releasing 1450. 1056 works fine for it, but 1450 is definitely better.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 11:40:40 am »

No 1450 in this one?
I'm betting that recipe predates Wyeast releasing 1450. 1056 works fine for it, but 1450 is definitely better.

Correct!  I gotta fix that.  I used to use 1272 a lot until I ran across 1450.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:42:52 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 02:54:45 pm »
Denny, I used your recipe for the hop times, maybe I'll just use the amounts as a rough pattern as well.

The malt bill is a tweaked version of an old recipe that ended up missing the original idea and making a brown ale that was close to my tastes. I had also planned on using 1450 for the yeast, I've wanted to try it for a while and this seemed a good recipe to test it with. I'm not overly fond of 1056/US-05 so I'm looking for a "better" go-to American ale yeast.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 03:40:41 pm »
I have an American brown ale on the schedule for later in the year that I plan to hop with chinook and simcoe. I had a beer last year at a Beerfest with those two hops that was really good.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 06:21:44 pm »
I'm a bit worried about a brown ale being too piney. Even if it's appropriate for the style, it doesn't fit my preference. Since I'm not that familiar with simcoe I figure the easiest way to avoid a piney brown ale is to ixnay the simcoe.