Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Almond Joy Stout  (Read 4863 times)

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
Almond Joy Stout
« on: January 03, 2016, 08:37:23 pm »
Just put this baby in the fermenter. The wort tastes great, hopefully the finished beer will live up to expectations. First time with this recipe.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated OG: 1.087 SG
Estimated Color: 47.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
9.84 gal              Bru'n Water Black Balanced               Water         1        -             
15 lbs                Brewer's Malt, 2-Row, Premium (Great Wes Grain         2        78.4 %       
1 lbs 6.0 oz          Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                   Grain         3        7.2 %         
1 lbs                 Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM)           Grain         4        5.2 %         
12.0 oz               Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)               Grain         5        3.9 %         
9.0 oz                Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SR Grain         6        2.9 %         
7.0 oz                Simpson's Double Roasted Crystal (113.1  Grain         7        2.3 %         
18.50 g               Magnum [11.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           8        21.2 IBUs     
14.17 g               Mt. Hood [5.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min        Hop           9        5.4 IBUs     
2.50 oz               Dark Bakers Chocolate (Boil 15.0 mins)   Flavor        10       -             
1.50 oz               Cacao Nibs (Boil 15.0 mins)              Flavor        11       -             
0.55 lb               Coconut - Shaved (Boil 15.0 mins)        Spice         12       -             
14.17 g               Mt. Hood [5.40 %] - Boil 2.0 min         Hop           15       0.6 IBUs     
0.50 lb               Coconut - Shaved (Primary 7.0 days)      Spice         17       -             
1.00 lb               Coconut - Shaved (Secondary 7.0 days)    Spice         18       -             

Mash Schedule: 152 Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 19 lbs 2.0 oz

Using Denny's Fave 50 yeast. Plan to ferment at 162 for 5 days then ramp up to 168 over the next 2 days and then let it finish.

I'm also planning to add Almond extract at time of kegging to taste. No idea how much to use so plan to add it in small increments until I'm happy with it.

I also kept the IBU's from my hops down lower than I would normally want in this type of beer. Haven't used bakers chocolate and cacao nibs before and wasn't sure what type of bitterness to expect from them. With a stout like this I'd rather have it a bit less bitter than desired, than too bitter, so figured I'd play it safe and then add more hops with the next batch depending on the results.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Almond Joy Stout
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 04:08:14 pm »
I've used cacao nibs a couple of times in a milk stout, and I don't think they add much bitterness. Usually, I throw in a 1/4 lb. per five gallons, and it adds a subtle chocolate flavor.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:21:39 pm »
I've used cacao nibs a couple of times in a milk stout, and I don't think they add much bitterness. Usually, I throw in a 1/4 lb. per five gallons, and it adds a subtle chocolate flavor.

How did you add the nibs? Boil or as a secondary? I used some nibs and some 100% cacao bakers chocolate with 15 min left in the boil.

I'm hoping I get at least some bitterness out of it. I'm sure the beer will be fine without it, but I wouldn't exactly be disappointed with some added bitterness.
Joel Prater

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 12:34:03 pm »
You may want to consider toasting some of that coconut (maybe the "dry coconut" addition) for some added depth and complexity.  Just a thought.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 02:23:39 pm »
Sounds interesting but a little might go a long way in my house.

You may want to consider editing your first post though: "Using Denny's Fave 50 yeast. Plan to ferment at 162 for 5 days then ramp up to 168 over the next 2 days and then let it finish."   ;)

I know it's a typo and what you meant but I read it about 3 times before I realized why it just wasn't making sense to me.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 04:08:41 pm »
sounds very interesting.  My favorite candy bar into a beer.  I may never leave the house if I could get that one right.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 05:21:25 pm »

How did you add the nibs? Boil or as a secondary? I used some nibs and some 100% cacao bakers chocolate with 15 min left in the boil.

I'm hoping I get at least some bitterness out of it. I'm sure the beer will be fine without it, but I wouldn't exactly be disappointed with some added bitterness.

I added the cacao nibs directly to the primary after fermentation was finished and left it in for 10 days.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:49:14 pm »
You may want to consider toasting some of that coconut (maybe the "dry coconut" addition) for some added depth and complexity.  Just a thought.

Thanks, I toasted the first half pound which went in the boil and also plan to toast the remainder as well.
Joel Prater

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 07:50:35 pm »
Sounds interesting but a little might go a long way in my house.

You may want to consider editing your first post though: "Using Denny's Fave 50 yeast. Plan to ferment at 162 for 5 days then ramp up to 168 over the next 2 days and then let it finish."   ;)

I know it's a typo and what you meant but I read it about 3 times before I realized why it just wasn't making sense to me.   ;D

Paul

I accidentally irradiated my yeast with gamma rays. They're now super-yeast and prefer much higher temperatures than normal.
Joel Prater

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 04:45:11 pm »
Switched up the coconut slightly out of pure laziness. I added 12 oz of toasted coconut (in a nylon bag) today. The local grocery store sold the coconut in 12 oz bags. I'll give it a taste in a week and decide how much more to add at that point.
Joel Prater