Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC First and Final Round Beers  (Read 2363 times)

Offline kencleary

• 1st Kit
NHC First and Final Round Beers
« on: January 27, 2016, 07:16:01 pm »
If I have a beer that advances past the first round of the NHC, does the beer submitted to the final round have to be from the same batch?  So say I have an IPA that goes through.  The bottles from the batch I sent in early March for the first round would have a very different hop character than bottles from the same batch sent in late May.  Can we brew another batch using the same recipe for the final round, or do they need to be from the same batch?

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: NHC First and Final Round Beers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:49:42 pm »
No personal experience but many were talking about timing their re-brews last year, so I assume that is the expectation for time sensitive brews
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:53:42 pm »
They can be different.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Bill Bopp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 07:54:06 pm »
It does not have to be the same batch.  You may re-brew and depending on the style, sometimes should re-brew.

It never hurts to re-brew anyway.  Then, the day you ship, taste both and send the one you like the best.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 06:41:46 am »
Definitely doesn't have to be the same batch, and I assume if you get an IPA through, you'd really want to rebrew it.

All my entries for NHC are lagers and ciders, so I just bottled up a six pack of each and hold them aside.  Nothing worse than getting a entry past first round and realizing you drank the rest of the keg, and now don't have time to rebrew.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 07:57:27 am »
Yeah, you can rebrew the beer, you could even make a tweak to it, but it has to be the same sub-category.

I will probably enter things like lagers and Barleywines, so no rebrew so for me. The lagers will be kept at lagering temps in the interim.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 03:48:06 pm »
Some styles you should time your rebrew to be at the same stage as when it was judged first round (think Amber or (D)IPA).  Other styles like barleywines and such are tougher to rebrew within that narrow window (you're looking at probably a month to month and a half between results being announced and second round shipping deadlines).

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 03:20:30 pm »
You can totally rebrew and re-tweak any recipe that makes it through to the final round.  Have done it many times on both accounts. Still no medal love though... :(

Offline jvoeltz

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 11:37:14 am »
The trick is timing the rebrew, as the first round results may not be available until it's too late to rebrew...

It was interesting tasting the left over final round beers after the banquet last year. Definitely a lot of beers that tasted rushed or old....

June 9th is final round judging date, I believe. I plan my rebrew schedule by that, not by waiting for the 1st round results...