Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FG is finishing way too low, is it an infection?  (Read 10686 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: FG is finishing way too low, is it an infection?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 02:49:19 pm »
I over build my starters and repitch yeast. I guess this could also be the problem.

Denny, I get the estimate FG from the recipe I am using. My beers are all finishing at 1.006 or 1.008. Really thin, no flavor or aroma. My efficiency is usually between 75 and 80%

I have found increased attenuation with subsequent generations of repitched yeast.  Not always, but it has happened when I've gone a number of generations.  I've harvested from stronger beers, so perhaps I was selecting for more attenuation inadvertently.

I was getting thin, strong beers with little malt flavor.  Hops were still evident, though.  No soapy taste.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 03:00:57 pm »
If your beers are finishing too low for your liking, then why aren't you mashing higher?  You probably can take that 1.006-1.008 and turn it into a 1.012-1.014 with mash temps (and grist composition).

Offline Slade7077

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 07:12:50 pm »
I only overbuild the starter to keep around 500 ml on hand for the next batch.  Its harvesting yeast, but before fermentation.  I pour it into a sanitized mason jar and store until the next batch.  Got this from Brulosopher blog.

I over build my starters and repitch yeast. I guess this could also be the problem.

Denny, I get the estimate FG from the recipe I am using. My beers are all finishing at 1.006 or 1.008. Really thin, no flavor or aroma. My efficiency is usually between 75 and 80%

As memory serves, overpitching can lead to:

1) early high ferment temps that can lead to higher (fusel) alcohol that often impart solvent-like flavor to the beer

2) higher-than-planned attenuation

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 06:24:52 am »
Thin, soapy, malt-less flavor makes me think mash pH is high. I went down this road. Know the mineral content of your water and ideally measure pH on every batch. Download Brunwater and start playing with the program to familiarize yourself with how to target a mash pH for a given recipe.

Offline Slade7077

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 09:11:35 am »
Calcium is 37 ppm
Magnesium is 11 ppm
Chloride is19 ppm
Sulfate is LO
Ph is 6.7
Total hardness is 48 ppm

I don't know the sodium or bicarbonate. I live North of Memphis TN. We have excellent drinking water.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 09:31:18 am »
The bicarbonate content is going to be the most helpful number to have when predicting and manipulating mash pH. You are going to need a water analysis done if you are on a well, or see if you can get a report from your municipality if your on city water. Ward Labs is usually the preferred place to send a water sample. They have a "brewers package" water profile that is reasonably priced.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 09:48:17 am »

As memory serves, overpitching can lead to:

1) early high ferment temps that can lead to higher (fusel) alcohol that often impart solvent-like flavor to the beer

2) higher-than-planned attenuation

Maybe on #1, although I've never seen it.  As to #2, attenuation is pretty much dependent on the fermentability of the wort.  Severely underpitching may result in less than planned attenuation, but I've never seen higher pitching rates lead to increased attenuation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 12:24:10 pm »
IIRC, I have read (can't remember where) that drastically over pitching can sometimes lead to under-attenuation because of the sheer number of yeast already present in the pitch don't allow for enough fresh, new yeast cells to grow and the unhealthy ones don't fully finish the job.  I think its pretty hard to over pitch on the home-brew level though.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 04:35:41 pm »
Denny... Right on, I knew I was going out on a limb with those hypotheses - taking a moment at work - and basically scratching my head a bit.  The issue of getting too hot too fast due to a high pitch I recall reading about and logically it would occur more easily for someone without good temp control. i.e. a factor that could make it that much easier for a ferment to get away from the zymurgist in the early stages.  I know that I have read especially from Jamil about the importance not only of a sufficient pitch, but also problems from overpitching.  Hence the desire to pitch "just right".

Anyway it all arose at my mis-reading the OP, who meant simply that he makes more yeast than needed and doesn't pitch it all.

So again the issue at hand might be tied to first, need for better control of mash temps, and bland or soapy flavor very possibly at least in part due to water chemistry and pH, and I don't recall if he efficiently treats for chlorine/chloramines. 

I know that once I successfully negotiated the use of Bru'n Water (including selecting/creating the right water profiles) a lot of problems just went away and my beer definitely improved.