Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do you clean before AND after brewing?  (Read 3425 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
Do you clean before AND after brewing?
« on: January 05, 2016, 05:23:37 am »
Just curious how cautious everyone is in terms of cleaning/sanitation. Do you clean right after, right before, or both? I guess what I really want to know is if a thorough cleaning right after will do, with thorough sanitization right before. With my limited space, cleaning can be rather frustrating.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Do you clean before AND after brewing?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 05:31:52 am »
what I really want to know is if a thorough cleaning right after will do, with thorough sanitization right before.

Yeah, that's what I do. And my cleaning got easier in a big way when I committed to doing it immediately after brewing, emptying a keg, etc. But I clean thoroughly after and sanitize very carefully before each use. A spray bottle of Starsan is a big help.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 05:42:25 am »
what I really want to know is if a thorough cleaning right after will do, with thorough sanitization right before.

Yeah, that's what I do. And my cleaning got easier in a big way when I committed to doing it immediately after brewing, emptying a keg, etc. But I clean thoroughly after and sanitize very carefully before each use. A spray bottle of Starsan is a big help.

+1 ^^^^ all this combined with healthy yeast help make sure yeast get control before any potential bacteria get a chance to take over.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:46:11 am »
I brew in my shop. In the spring through fall my brewery gets in the way if I dont put it away after brewing. I clean before putting it away. Cleaning the brewery consists of rinsing everything, filling the BK with water, heating to ~130ยบ, adding Oxyclean and hitting the recirculation pump. MLT and HLT just get a rinse. BK recircs for 30min, then drain and rinse. Then filled with cool water and I add Starsan which gets recirculated. I do that to shine the immersion chiller and sanitize the pump and lines. While doing all that I'm cleaning odds and ends like lids, spoon, autosyphon, test equipment,  etc.

After long brew days I might just rinse, and finish cleaning the next day, or following weekend depending on schedule.

Kegs get a thorough cleaning and filled with 12.5% Iodophor on a day off sometime before I need them.

Bottles get rinsed and set aside until I have enough for a full case. Then I do a thorough Oxyclean soak, scrub, rinse. On bottling day I rinse again, then they get a Starsan dip and put on a sanitized bottling tree.

Overall, I've found that cleaning always takes X amount of time and its never better easier better or faster to wait.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 07:42:17 am »
Same here - clean as soon as you can after use, store it in a way that it will stay clean (i.e., covered, upside down, etc.), then sanitize immediately prior to use. No need for a second cleaning immediately before use if it's clean aleady.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:06:20 am »
I brew primarily in my garage so I always clean as I go, and then finish up after the beer is in the fermentation chamber.  I either cover the equipment or turn it upside-down.  If it gets dusty, I'll give it a good rinse and sanitize before using it.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 09:02:12 am »
Easier to clean sticky liquids when hot and fluid than letting them dry and have to scrub them off, especially with parts that may not be easy to scrub on all surfaces.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 12:30:37 pm »
Always clean and sanitize plastic equipment prior to putting them away until the next brew day. With the exception of some items that may need a long hot soak in PBW (carboys).

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 12:38:39 pm »
Wash immediately after use and sanitize before. Sometimes soak fermenters and siphon tubes in v dilute bleach after use.

I bottle everything but don't Wash bottles - too much work. After pouring a beer I rinse the bottle 3 times in water, shaking vigorously to dislodge sediment. Sanitize before bottling with a bottle rinser and drain on a bottle tree. But before pressing each bottle on the pump, I look inside and check for sediment/beer stone. The few that aren't perfectly clean get set aside and washed with a brush.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:40:16 pm by charles1968 »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 12:49:11 pm »
Like others have said I clean everything as soon after brewing as possible.  I sanitize anything on the cold side just before using it.

Keep the dust off and the critters out and you shouldn't need to clean much on the hot side.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 02:53:00 pm »
Agreed on the clean  as you go (and rinse well and sanitize cold side items) method.  For storage I cover openings with aluminum foil if they are carboy like or a full bucket lid with small piece of aluminum foil and clean tape over a grommet for an airlock hole.  The kegs I will allow to stack up occasionally (just rinised out as they kicked), as I use a keg washer set up with a pump in a bucket with a copper drilled post - that works pretty quickly, so I just rinse well and put the keg on the washer bucket and connect the QCD's and let it rip with PBW or Oxyclean or Craftmeister.  Letting a couple 3 kegs accumulate allows me to use the same solution and sanitizer at one setting on all of the kegs then being cleaned and sanitized...but I always sanitize again before filling on the cold side.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 03:58:03 pm »

Agreed on the clean  as you go (and rinse well and sanitize cold side items) method.  For storage I cover openings with aluminum foil if they are carboy like or a full bucket lid with small piece of aluminum foil and clean tape over a grommet for an airlock hole.  The kegs I will allow to stack up occasionally (just rinised out as they kicked), as I use a keg washer set up with a pump in a bucket with a copper drilled post - that works pretty quickly, so I just rinse well and put the keg on the washer bucket and connect the QCD's and let it rip with PBW or Oxyclean or Craftmeister.  Letting a couple 3 kegs accumulate allows me to use the same solution and sanitizer at one setting on all of the kegs then being cleaned and sanitized...but I always sanitize again before filling on the cold side.

So times kegs do back up in cleaning cycle. But I just keep them in fridge empty until I can get to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 09:03:09 pm »
I clean before and after.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge