Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Crashing Time  (Read 3134 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Cold Crashing Time
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 05:05:56 pm »
Do you guys cold crash/use gelatin with porters?

I would cold crash, but probably not gel fine based on the color of the beer.  For example, I just kegged a pretty dark baltic porter (almost stout color) that was cold crashed, but not fined as I did not feel it needed it for clarity.  A lighter porter might benefit from both a cold crash and gelatin though.  I would say it is probably color dependent.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Cold Crashing Time
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 05:56:18 pm »
Just kegged and gel fined o'fest today that was 5 days at 32f. Why 5 days....busy. Good thing is less yeast trub in my keg, but other than that just a matter of convenience in how quickly I get from cold crash to keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 08:29:54 am »
I should add this is for ales.

I don't know why you would want to cold-condition an ale. Particularly when using a strain of yeast that produces subtle flavors and characteristics that can be lost by doing so. If the strain is a good flocculator and your ales are still cloudy/opaque/turbid after fermentation subsides then you should look at your process: are you doing a good, vigorous boil, chilling the wort quickly, have a decent filter when running into the fermenter, pitching adequate yeast, etc? My ales stay in the fermenter for a minimum of 10-14 days and are ran directly into the keg(s) for serving. If there is any haze (which typically comes from my excessive use of hops!) it settles in the serving fridge over time and the beer does not lack for anything just because it is not crystal clear. Your opinion and taste buds can and will vary! 
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 10:09:21 am »
Do you guys cold crash/use gelatin with porters?

On everything.  Even with dark beers, you can see clarity.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell