Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mistakes, Learned From  (Read 4802 times)

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Re: Mistakes, Learned From
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 09:19:57 am »
Wow, reading through here makes me see a business opportunity for something like this for vallves

Flashback! I was an AO
IYAOYAS!

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 05:50:51 am »
So far, the worst mistake I've made was getting into a hurry when doing a BIAB batch and pouring about 1 1/2 lbs of grain into my brew pot without the bag in place.  Needless to say a mess in straining it out, but the beer turned out fine.

At the time I was new to the BIAB process and was afraid of burning the bag as I heated the water to strike temp.Now I use an inverted S/S vegetable strainer at the bottom of the pot to keep the bag off the bottom of the pot and put the bag in place before filling the pot with water.

I've since made a check list customized to my equipment and that really helps.

Regarding drinking while brewing, I have no more than two while in process.  It does make the time more enjoyable.

It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 03:37:21 pm »
Just a couple weeks ago, I set my scale to tare zero, but didn't notice it was set to kg, rather than pounds and ounces...I caught the mistake when I saw how much grain I had for a simple 10 gallon pilsner batch....almost made a Maibock!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 03:58:11 pm »
Just a couple weeks ago, I set my scale to tare zero, but didn't notice it was set to kg, rather than pounds and ounces...I caught the mistake when I saw how much grain I had for a simple 10 gallon pilsner batch....almost made a Maibock!
Dang, you should have kept on trucking. That would probably have been the best Maibock ever.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 08:38:01 pm »
My biggest mistake ever was interpreting mash and other Brewing ph wrong. I have talked about this in another thread. I have seen many others do the same recently. It was easy to confuse but easier now to see how wrong I was. I always wondered why certain beers were just off and some came out so much better. Hop character on hoppy beers always seemed not quite right and I have noted off hop flavors I now linked to that on several batches. I'm so looking forward to my batches from here on out.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 07:18:14 am »
And here's a new one. My full kegs caught up with me lately so I had 4 kegs literally stuffed into my little lagering/conditioning chest freezer set to 38º. No problem. Until last night. I brough in my keg of Red X Mandarina to tap and discovered it was frozen. That keg was in the corner of the chest freezer and touching two walls must have been too much for it. I figured that overnight in the kegerator would thaw it but nope. So I pulled it out to sit at room temperature for the day. One side is covered in a thin layer of frost now lol. Lesson learned, I can only fit 3 kegs in my lagering chest... Im hoping for an unexpectedly awesome beer once it thaws, returns to serving temp, and equalizes carbonation.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2016, 07:32:39 am »
And here's a new one. My full kegs caught up with me lately so I had 4 kegs literally stuffed into my little lagering/conditioning chest freezer set to 38º. No problem. Until last night. I brough in my keg of Red X Mandarina to tap and discovered it was frozen. That keg was in the corner of the chest freezer and touching two walls must have been too much for it. I figured that overnight in the kegerator would thaw it but nope. So I pulled it out to sit at room temperature for the day. One side is covered in a thin layer of frost now lol. Lesson learned, I can only fit 3 kegs in my lagering chest... Im hoping for an unexpectedly awesome beer once it thaws, returns to serving temp, and equalizes carbonation.

And, who knows, a missed opportunity: you could have created the first Eisbocked Red X Mandarina :(
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 07:41:02 am »

And, who knows, a missed opportunity: you could have created the first Eisbocked Red X Mandarina :(
Sounds almost familiar