Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low pH with Best Pils Malt?  (Read 18349 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Low pH with Best Pils Malt?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 11:57:33 am »
Jeff, have you been adjusting it upwards then after getting a low reading? Just wondering how much this could affect the final beer.
I wonder if it's not just Best pils, but maybe their Vienna as well? Gah! I really don't want to have to get a pH meter...
this one was at 5.25, so I let it ride. Conversion eff. was close to 100%, hit my OG. Was going for 5.55, then use lactic to drop. Next time I will try that.
Great, thanks. I think I'll target 5.4-5.5 for my next helles in Bru'n water. Or should I actually target 5.6? Hmmm...
Jesse

narvin

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 02:47:40 pm »
I haven't seen this in the past.  I targeted 5.35 in the kettle, and the lactic acid addition suggested got me close (8 ml for 10 gallons of mash water).  But, their spec sheet shows that it can vary.

Specification min max
 Moisture content % 5.0
 Extract fine grind, dry basis % 80.5
 Fine-coarse diŠ erence EBC % 2.0
 Viscosity (8.6%) mPa·s 1.60
 Friability % 80.0
 Glassiness % 3.0
 Protein, dry basis % 9.0 11.5
 Soluble nitrogen mg/100g 610 780
 Kolbach index % 36.0 45.0
Wort color
EBC 3 4.9
L 1.6 2.3
Wort pH EH 5.80 6.10
 Grading > 2.5 mm % 90.0
 Diastatic Power WK 250

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Low pH with Best Pils Malt?
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 04:38:19 pm »
I haven't seen this in the past.  I targeted 5.35 in the kettle, and the lactic acid addition suggested got me close (8 ml for 10 gallons of mash water).  But, their spec sheet shows that it can vary.

Specification min max
 Moisture content % 5.0
 Extract fine grind, dry basis % 80.5
 Fine-coarse diŠ erence EBC % 2.0
 Viscosity (8.6%) mPa·s 1.60
 Friability % 80.0
 Glassiness % 3.0
 Protein, dry basis % 9.0 11.5
 Soluble nitrogen mg/100g 610 780
 Kolbach index % 36.0 45.0
Wort color
EBC 3 4.9
L 1.6 2.3
Wort pH EH 5.80 6.10
 Grading > 2.5 mm % 90.0
 Diastatic Power WK 250

yes i think that's the key...could vary between maltsters and lots.

Edit: be interesting to see what I get for PH of recipe with  RO and water profile identical to one with Avangard pils vs. the weyermann floor malted pils I ordered.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:12:15 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 07:23:57 am »
I also have a sack of Best Pils malt and have found that wort pH tends to be a bit lower than the color indicates.

Maybe more maltsters are getting on board with making base malts more acidic through some sort of acidification like done for acid malt? Since all mashes need some sort of acidification via alternatives such as: adding Ca and Mg salts, adding darker crystal and roast malts, or adding an actual acid, it is a good thing that the maltsters are doing this. It's just that it makes it difficult to know which maltsters are doing it.

By the way, I've found that Simpsons Golden Promise tends to be more acidic than indicated by color rating.

Keep posting this sort of information since it will help refine the malt acidity parameters.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 08:17:45 am »
I also have a sack of Best Pils malt and have found that wort pH tends to be a bit lower than the color indicates.

Maybe more maltsters are getting on board with making base malts more acidic through some sort of acidification like done for acid malt? Since all mashes need some sort of acidification via alternatives such as: adding Ca and Mg salts, adding darker crystal and roast malts, or adding an actual acid, it is a good thing that the maltsters are doing this. It's just that it makes it difficult to know which maltsters are doing it.

By the way, I've found that Simpsons Golden Promise tends to be more acidic than indicated by color rating.

Keep posting this sort of information since it will help refine the malt acidity parameters.

I plan on getting some distilled water, doing some mini-mashes in a thermos with the base grains I have on hand.
A post will have the findings.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 08:27:28 am »

Martin, is there a simple procedure a brewer can perform on a small malt sample to determine its relative acidity in a mash?   Something along the lines of "take X grams of pulverized malt, add to Y grams of distilled H2O at 68 degrees F, wait Z minutes, record pH?" 

I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who would be happy to perform this sort of data gathering (and send you the results), so having a standard process seems like good idea.   And if there is also a simple way to translate that discovered pH value to an adjusted "L" value to plug into Brunwater to improve its performance, that would be good to know.

The Beerery

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 08:49:51 am »

Martin, is there a simple procedure a brewer can perform on a small malt sample to determine its relative acidity in a mash?   Something along the lines of "take X grams of pulverized malt, add to Y grams of distilled H2O at 68 degrees F, wait Z minutes, record pH?" 

I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who would be happy to perform this sort of data gathering (and send you the results), so having a standard process seems like good idea.   And if there is also a simple way to translate that discovered pH value to an adjusted "L" value to plug into Brunwater to improve its performance, that would be good to know.

It's quite simple really. All you need to do is get the malt analysis info. For instance this is my vienna malt I have http://www.weyermann.de/pdf_analyses/q204-002360-01.pdf 

Why must we always make more work for ourselves, all the malsters have lot analysis on the malt. More over how do you know how to properly mash the malt without the specs.
Simple as that ;)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 09:58:58 am »

It's quite simple really. All you need to do is get the malt analysis info. For instance this is my vienna malt I have http://www.weyermann.de/pdf_analyses/q204-002360-01.pdf 

Why must we always make more work for ourselves, all the malsters have lot analysis on the malt. More over how do you know how to properly mash the malt without the specs.
Simple as that ;)
It seems to me the issue is with conflicting results to what the analyses is saying...
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 10:34:02 am »

Simple as that ;)

The lot analysis from Country Malt Group does not have pH listed. Best Malz gives a range. Lot Analysis entry is not apparent on the Best Web Page.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:42:23 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

The Beerery

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 11:07:57 am »

Simple as that ;)
It seems to me the issue is with conflicting results to what the analyses is saying...

No, Weyermann just lists general specs as well. No one here is getting lot analysis.
If north country is lacking, one should contact best. They are quick responders.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 11:18:19 am »

Simple as that ;)

No, Weyermann just lists general specs as well. No one here is getting lot analysis.
If north country is lacking, one should contact best. They are quick responders.
Ich werde Best Maltz Kontaktieren
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 02:52:49 pm »
Mashed 0.25 lbs in a half quart of distilled water at 155F in a SS coffee thermos. Calibrated the Milwaukee 101 with fresh 7 and 4 solutions. Then measured the pH after my usual 10 minutes. Result was 5.55 pH.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 02:58:50 pm »
Mashed 0.25 lbs in a half quart of distilled water at 155F in a SS coffee thermos. Calibrated the Milwaukee 101 with fresh 7 and 4 solutions. Then measured the pH after my usual 10 minutes. Result was 5.55 pH.

and is 5.8ish Ph what you would have expected?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 03:27:17 pm »

and is 5.8ish Ph what you would have expected?
Yes. The range Best has on their page is 5.8-6.1. So it measured low.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline VictorBrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 03:49:13 pm »
I know this has been discussed a million times, but is it possible that some analysis sheets are listing pH at mash temp rather then at room temp?