Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thin and bland - culprits?  (Read 8661 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Thin and bland - culprits?
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2016, 05:12:02 pm »
After reading the posts on the low pH of best malts, I still feel that you may have had a lower than expected mash pH which could obviously lead to a thin and watery tasting beer as you describe.  If you were not able to actually measure your pH with a meter and just going by Brunwater and your RO base then you cannot be fully sure that your pH wasn't lower than anticipated. 

As stated in that thread, some best malts (vienna, pilsner) were coming up .2-.3 pH lower than typical which could easily drop your pH into the lower than 5.2 range or even lower if you were off to begin with.  I definitely recommend purchasing a pH meter.  They really aren't that hard to use and maintain properly and then you can cross that variable off in producing a better product. 

Cheers!
Brewinhard

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2016, 05:41:19 pm »
+1
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2016, 08:11:23 pm »
Great thoughts guys! Keep 'em coming!

And, Brewinhard, I've been considering an MW102 for my first pH meter purchase here in the next month or two. I've always dreaded having to buy one, but as Ken has pointed out, it's kind of like a hydrometer or thermometer - just another tool that one really should have. So I guess that's the next step in my brewing... I am drinking the Vienna lager right now and it's definitely not thin and bland, fortunately. But I'm glad I started this thread, there's a lot of really good thoughts and ideas coming here.
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2016, 08:07:26 am »

And, Brewinhard, I've been considering an MW102 for my first pH meter purchase here in the next month or two. I've always dreaded having to buy one, but as Ken has pointed out, it's kind of like a hydrometer or thermometer - just another tool that one really should have. So I guess that's the next step in my brewing... I am drinking the Vienna lager right now and it's definitely not thin and bland, fortunately. But I'm glad I started this thread, there's a lot of really good thoughts and ideas coming here.

I have the MW101 and couldn't be more happy with it.  At first I had a bit of struggles (not much) nailing my target pH's, but lately I have been pretty spot on with the Brunwater predictions.  The beers have definitely been benefitting IMO.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2016, 08:22:14 am »

I have the MW101 and couldn't be more happy with it.  At first I had a bit of struggles (not much) nailing my target pH's, but lately I have been pretty spot on with the Brunwater predictions.  The beers have definitely been benefitting IMO.
Good to hear. I'm more apprehensive about maintaining the meter than anything else.
Jesse

The Beerery

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2016, 08:28:47 am »

Good to hear. I'm more apprehensive about maintaining the meter than anything else.

Short of keeping the probe submerged in storage solution. Its a non issue.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2016, 08:54:42 am »

Good. The probe has a cap that can hold the storage solution while not in use, doesn't it?
Jesse

The Beerery

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2016, 09:03:13 am »

Good. The probe has a cap that can hold the storage solution while not in use, doesn't it?

Indeed.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2016, 09:50:30 am »
Perfect.
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2016, 10:48:50 am »
Perfect.

Yep.  I just change out my storage solution every few batches and am sure to always rinse (and dry) with distilled water prior to calibrating in pH 4 and 7 solutions and my wort sample.