Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wort makeup and attenuation  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: wort makeup and attenuation
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 11:01:41 am »
This particular instance is related to repitching W34/70 slurry. I recently had a similar issue with K97 slurry.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 03:24:10 pm »
I think the dry lager yeasts really hit their stride in the 3rd, 4th and 5th use (the most I have taken one out is about 8 uses, IIRC - compared to 24+ pitches on a liquid lager yeast a while back).  I religiously feed yeast nutrient to all yeasts that are re-pitched. 

The first re-pitching of 34/70 can be a bit of a crap shoot, it seems, but I aerate the heck out of it (favoring O2 by stone with that situation) and give it a healthy dose of Wyeast nutrient in the last 10 minutes of the boil to give it the best chance to finish off well.  I will overshoot Mr. Malty's suggested volume of yeast, as well on the second pitch of 34/70.

No science to back this, just anecdotal experience on this one.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 04:52:11 pm »
(the most I have taken one out is about 8 uses, IIRC - compared to 24+ pitches on a liquid lager yeast a while back).  I religiously feed yeast nutrient to all yeasts that are re-pitched. 

Wow! 24 pitches with no issues? That is crazy on the home-brew level or is this commercial? 

+1 to yeast nutrient on repitches.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 08:00:11 pm »
Homebrew and all kinds of colors and strengths, but with greater strength it required greater pitches.  If your sanitation is good, then you should not have problems.  I finally gave up because I wanted to switch to a different yeast.  I think it was WLP 830 or 800.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2016, 12:41:02 pm »
Homebrew and all kinds of colors and strengths, but with greater strength it required greater pitches.  If your sanitation is good, then you should not have problems.  I finally gave up because I wanted to switch to a different yeast.  I think it was WLP 830 or 800.

Good to know and better to try out!  Thanks!

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2016, 01:26:45 am »
The two things that occurred to me are: beer 2 hasn't finished yet; did you aerate the wort sufficiently for beer 2?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 07:53:50 am »
The two things that occurred to me are: beer 2 hasn't finished yet; did you aerate the wort sufficiently for beer 2?

As mentioned, the most likely culprit appears to be that beer 2 was not aerated sufficiently in accordance with repitching dry yeast slurry. I used my normal aeration practice which works fine with initial pitches.

The Beerery was right. The beer is unfortunately sweet after further tastings. I wouldn't go with 'syrupy sweet' but definitely not what I was hoping for.

I am considering adding some gypsum to the keg. Is that even a worthwhile thought?

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 09:11:46 am »
Adding Gypsum won't fix sweetness.  If it was me, I'd consider the following options:

1) De-gas and repitch another new active starter
or
2) Blend it with a new batch that is over-bittered and has attenuated completely
or
4) De-gas, throw in some fruit and re-pitch
or
4) Add a hop-shot to increase perceived bitterness
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 09:17:50 am »
Adding Gypsum won't fix sweetness.  If it was me, I'd consider the following options:

or
2) Blend it with a new batch that is over-bittered and has attenuated completely
or
or

Ok thanks. If it wasn't aerated enough to begin with, will pitching more yeast help?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 09:22:41 am »

or
or
or

Ok thanks. If it wasn't aerated enough to begin with, will pitching more yeast help?

Maybe.  But without doing an FFT (did I miss that you did?) you don't know if the issue is the wort or the yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2016, 09:27:54 am »

or
or
or

Maybe.  But without doing an FFT (did I miss that you did?) you don't know if the issue is the wort or the yeast.

I did do a FFT which I kind of forgot about. I didn't budge.

I am considering just adding some gypsum and possibly a bit of lactic acid to the keg. It may not help much but it can't hurt.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:34:18 am by goschman »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2016, 10:03:06 am »

or
or
or

I am considering just adding some gypsum and possibly a bit of lactic acid to the keg. It may not help much but it can't hurt.

In that case yeast isn't gonna help.  How about blending?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2016, 10:13:13 am »

or
or
or

In that case yeast isn't gonna help.  How about blending?

It just got adequately carbed up over the weekend. Blending is probably the best solution. I am going to have a couple more samples and decide what to do. I may just leave it alone if it is decent enough...